Protestors Gather in Worldwide Climate March

Rose Flynn, Contributing Writer

All over the world, hundreds of thousands of people gathered in city streets this week to protest against the dramatic climate change occurring in the world today. Across the globe, entire city neighborhoods could hear thousands of voices echoing in outrage at the rising temperatures and destruction of the natural world, and entire nations could hear the voices of millions of people calling for change.

New York City hosted a United Nations Climate Summit meeting on Tuesday, which served as the last chance for change before the next summit meeting in Paris next year. Bill McKebben, activist and professor, reportedly provoked hundreds of thousands to gather in the streets of New York City on Sunday, in their goal to, “#FloodWallStreet.” His idea of protesting so United Nations delegates would limit carbon emissions sparked a huge push for change.

Industries produce extreme amounts of carbon emissions that pollute the planet and the atmosphere. The estimated 310,000 protestors marching in the “People’s Climate March” of New York City want to cut down those emissions and encourage companies to alter their production methods to decrease pollution.

Not only did citizens gather in New York City, hundreds of thousands gathered around the globe. Around 2,800 events were held worldwide in countries such as Germany, (who hosted a silent march), Afghanistan, France, Italy, Bulgaria, Brazil, Turkey, Australia, and more in the reportedly “biggest climate change protest ever”, as #FloodWallStreet spokeswoman Bessie Schwarz reports.

People in America and all over the world currently speak out against the dangerous climate change developing today. Citizens are concerned for the future state of the planet and the harsh conditions future generations may face. Protestors today urge that if action is not taken by today’s society, future society will not be able to salvage it.