What You Need to know about HHS’s Fall Musical Production, “Curtains”

Aidan Pierce, Contributing Writer

Hingham High School’s fall musical “Curtains” will debut Nov. 20, 2014 at 7:00 p.m, with a second performance Nov. 22, 2014 at 8:00 p.m., both at Hingham High School.

“Curtains,” written by Rupert Holmes, is a murder mystery set in Boston in 1959. At the beginning of the show, the star of an upcoming musical is murdered. Lt. Frank Cioffi is called to solve the case, and hilarity ensues.

HHS drama teacher Anita Levy-Sisk is the director of the musical. On this year’s choice, she said, “I hand pick the shows based upon the kids that are likely to be in them, and this year, I know ‘Curtains’ fits the cast like a glove”

Levy-Sisk isn’t the only one working on the musical. She added, “As always there are more than 100 kids that work hard to put the show all together. We do it for the audience, and it means the world to us when the student body supports our endeavors. They will have a great time.”

And one such cast member is having a great time. Kate English, a freshman appearing in the musical as a part of the ensemble, talked about the production thus far. “It’s been a lot of fun. Even though I don’t have a really big part, it’s still a blast,” she said.

Although, one cast member questioned early during production whether the show has enough name recognition to pull an audience of teenagers, Levy-Sisk didn’t think this to be an issue. “While ‘Curtains’ was a Tony Nominated show and ran for almost two years on Broadway, it isn’t widely known. This is going to be new and exciting for our audience. They are going to fall in love with it,” Levy-Sisk said.

To raise money for the production, the Drama Club at HHS did a local can and bottle drive to pay for the set and electrical work. But the staging may be less elaborate and time consuming than some shows. “Because it takes place on the stage of a theater, it’s definitely on the easier side,” said Levy-Sisk