HHS’s Wrestling Team’s Amazing 2016 Season

The+2016+Wrestling+team.+

Courtesy of David White

The 2016 Wrestling team.

John Goggin, Contributing Writer

Now that it’s late February, the winter sports season is coming to a close after impressive outings by many of the Hingham sports teams. One of the most impressive performances came from the
wrestling team, finishing 18th overall at the state championships.

Coming off a Patriot League three­peat, the team was looking to recapture that same success this year, and they didn’t fall short. The team was dominant, amounting to a 28­0 record, and adding another year to the banner for a fourth straight title.

Having a season of 28 meets and winning them all is definitely easier said than done. There were some good performances and some rough ones. Having an undefeated season doesn’t just happen; it’s a result of a lot of hard work and practice.

Freshman Tristan Williamson said “We had to stay focused all season, and couldn’t let off any gas. We had to fight through a few injuries over the season, but everyone came to practice ready to work, everyday.”

With long practices everyday, commitments to performance, and being ready for every meet, wrestling isn’t easy. Nothing better sums this up than the team’s motto, which is printed on their
sweatshirts: “Embrace the Grind.”

“Hard work pays off, working hard helped us go undefeated. After we lost 9 seniors, we still went on to win the league again” Williamson said.

Even with no meets left in the season, it’s still practice as usual for the team, with everyone putting in work like there’s a meet tomorrow. Dedication and hard work is what has driven this
team to four straight championships and many excellent seasons under Coach Canniff.

Come spring, the season ends, and the focus is on the next season. With more hard work in the offseason, this squad should be ready for another great season next winter, and looking for that fifth straight Patriot League title.