The Life of a Graphics Student

Look Up by Jessica Carr (Freshman)

Claire Stone, Contributing Writer

Copy, paste, delete, shake head. Click, drag, pause, think, click,…

This is the thought process during an average class period for a graphic design student at Hingham High. We deal with things as simple as choosing between black and navy blue, but simultaneously struggle with complex concepts even our talented teacher, Mr. Eschauzier, has difficulty grasp.

Mastering the art of computer graphic design is challenging, but well worth it. From day one in the preliminary Graphics I class, you are taught how to create and morph shapes and how to work with computer programs. After that first day, it all falls into place and you begin to understand how to manipulate your creations to make art and near-­professional-looking design pieces.

Along with learning how to create to a new and grander extent, for me, at least, the class is an escape. There is something soothing about working on a piece and watching it come to life at the tip of your fingers while being surrounded by the sounds of Mr. E­-Show’s hardcore metal music.

Not only is the class and the work we do amazing, but the environment is unlike anything else. Mr. E-­Show himself is easygoing and accepting of everyone and is someone I know I can go to with anything. I consider him to be the best teacher I’ve ever had. In the classroom, it is fun and is a nice place to unwind and just enjoy the work you’re creating.

You may think I am the only one that feels this way about graphic design, but after talking to other students, I’ve come to the conclusion that my sentiments are widely held. Junior, Rose Flynn, explained how she didn’t know what direction she wanted to go in in terms of her future career, but “after being introduced to it by this course,” she is considering going into graphic design. This class not only allows us to create art, but gives us a real idea of what we could do with our futures.