Another Successful Thespian Night

From+left%3A+Co-president+Stephanie+Pett%2C+Secretary+Greta+Eustace%2C+Co-president+Matt+Rice%2C+and+Treasurer+Rose+Flynn.+

Courtesy of Maggie Eustace

From left: Co-president Stephanie Pett, Secretary Greta Eustace, Co-president Matt Rice, and Treasurer Rose Flynn.

Gabrielle Martin, Contributing Writer

Earlier this week, members of Hingham High School’s Drama Club celebrated the end of a very successful season at Thespian Night, an evening rooted in tradition.

As is custom, all attendees were dressed in semi-­formal attire. To become a thespian, a student must participate in four main stage productions, either as an actor or a crew member; this does not include class one-­acts. There is an additional requirement that states that the student must be involved with at least one of the four productions as a crew member. A Thespian can participate in crew for all four shows, or a two-­and-­two combination of crew and acting, as long as he or she spends the one show as a crew member.

This season, the club’s dedicated director Anita Levy-Sisk welcomed twenty­-two new inductees and celebrated nineteen returning Thespians. The evening began with a slideshow of photographs from this season’s productions, as well as images from the club’s annual freshman picnic. Images from the fall musical Hello, Dolly! flash across the screen, capturing the cast and crew through the rigorous rehearsal process to tech week and from opening to closing night.

The festival performance piece Shuddersome: Tales of Poe resulted in a collection of eccentric photos, which are all rather appropriate considering the show. Shuddersome featured an ensemble of “Shudders” who each took his or her turn representing a different character from an Edgar Allen Poe piece: The Tell Tale Heart, The Oval Portrait, The Raven, and The Masque of the Red Death were all brought to life onstage.

When photos from the most recent show, The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Abridged, appeared on­screen, the audience becomes a little more quiet. Although the memories for this production are just as fond as the others, the ending of this production is bittersweet for the seniors: it was their last time performing with their high school theater club.

In tribute to the seniors, the club’s juniors presented the much anticipated senior impressions video, which has become another wonderful tradition of Thespian Night which showcases private jokes and fond memories made with the club’s seniors. The night continued on with Ms. Sisk recognizing the returning thespians and then inducting new members. In addition, she presented several achievement medals, as well as awards of excellence for each grade.

Junior Stephanie Pett was honored for her talent with the Performer of the Year award, senior Jessica Shawles was recognized with an award for her excellence in direction, and co-­presidents Evan Ayer and Josh Crosby were presented with Thespian of the Year trophies.

Results of the club’s election for new officers and crew heads were announced at the end of the evening. Former board members stood together one last time to reveal the students who would take their places next season. The new executive council consists of co-­presidents Matt Rice and Stephanie Pett, treasurer Rose Flynn, and secretary Greta Eustace.

In addition, the musical for next season was announced. Rather than the previous silence, there was a nervous buzz throughout the auditorium as co-­presidents Evan Ayer and Josh Crosby delivered the news that the fall musical will be, to the great surprise of everyone in attendance, Rock of Ages!

Although the club’s three main stage productions have taken place (with The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Abridged closing last weekend), this isn’t the last bow for Drama Club. The much­ anticipated senior­directed one­-acts have begun their rehearsal process!

Those performances will take place June 7 and 8 in the Hingham High School auditorium; admittance is free to those who wish to attend.