Summer Destinations

Halle Sullivan, Contributing Writer

There’s plenty of things students do during the summer: stress over summer work, hang out with friends on the beach, or spend the whole day doing nothing. But probably the most looked forward to activity of the summer is getting out of Hingham.

Whether it’s a day trip or one that lasts from June 23 to the first day of school, many students await the moment when they get to say goodbye to Hingham for a little while. Unfortunately it can be a bit hard to get out from time to time because traveling costs money. So instead of tempting you with mega-­luxurious destinations that will wipe out your already empty pockets, I’m going to let you in on a few summer day trip destinations you might not be thinking about that won’t break the bank.

I’ll start with the most obvious one: Boston. Whether it’s the North End for an amazing dinner or shopping for books in Harvard Square, you’re basically guaranteed a good time as long as you have a plan. In order to pull off a day in the city it would be smart to know the basics before heading in.

What you should already decide on before going to Boston includes: what area of the city you plan on visiting, how you will get there, and what will spend the day doing.

Personally, my favorite place to go in Boston is Harvard Square. It’s great if you just want to window shop or if you actually plan on spending there’s quite a few shops ranging from bookstores to clothing stores to home decor. Harvard Square’s shops are small, cute, and perfect for wandering through, but that’s not the only thing going for this area. It also offers a handful of well known and loved restaurants.

For example, Tory Row, right in the center of Harvard Square, is great spot for lunch complete with tables on the patio perfect for people watching. My favorite thing to order there is the quinoa salad packed with avocados, tomatoes, and a dressing that will blow your mind. You could go to the tried and true Mike’s Pastries right in Harvard square. If you haven’t had anything from this place, believe me, you need to.

Everyone has his or her own special summer place that makes them happy. For sophomore, Meaghan Connelly that place is Nantucket. According to her, the perfect day on ACK starts with grabbing a smoothie and a sandwich from Something Natural for later, and biking down to the beach for the day.

After enjoying the waves and playing kadima for a few hours, Meaghan recommends day-­trippers visit, “the Juice Bar to grab some ice cream, specifically black raspberry chip” either that or stop by, “Aunt Lea’s for some afternoon fudge.”

After a pre­-dinner dessert, she says one of her favorite things to do on the island is watch the sunset at Madaket. Mmaybe the ferry to Nantucket seems a bit much for a day trip, so here’s a local equivalent to Meaghan’s perfect day. First, it’s important to pack a good lunch for the day, so before heading to the beach, Sophie Cohen says her go to place is Whole Foods or Daily Press, two very good, healthy options for a quick afternoon meal.

Personally I love getting lunch from Circe’s Grotto in Scituate before heading down to Sandy Beach in Cohasset for the day. To make the day even better, head down to World’s End for a hike after and find your own area to watch the sunset or just enjoy nature for an hour or two.

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but sometimes laying out on the beach can become a bit boring after a while. To make the beach more fun bring games! Sophomore and Beyonce lover Andrew Adams explains that he, “always packs a bag for the beach with the typical necessities like a chair and towel, but also makes sure to bring a portable speaker and a waboba ball,” his favorite game to play.

A portable speaker should be considered mandatory for a good day at the shore, friends will enjoy summer playlists packed with fun, lighthearted bops that make it feel even more like summer. Another essential is a beach game. I always make sure to bring Kadima, my favorite game to play after going for a dip in the ocean. It’s similar to ping pong except there is no table and the two players work together to keep the small rubber ball from hitting the sand.

Nantucket
Meaghan Connelly
Nantucket
Harvard Square
http://backbayrealtygroup.com/neighborhoods/cambridge-neighborhood/harvard/
Harvard Square
Nantucket
Meaghan Connelly
Nantucket

Hopefully these tips and trick will help you during summer when you are out of ideas and longing for a memorable experience that you’ll be able to reminisce about later on in the year while you sit in class.