HHS Fall Concert Showcases Student Talent

Left+Junior+Michael+Hill+and+Senior+Dan+Carr+pose+back+to+back+right+before+the+music+concert.+

Kaylee Hill

Left Junior Michael Hill and Senior Dan Carr pose back to back right before the music concert.

Kaylee Hill, Contributing Writer

Many of Hingham’s school staff, students, and community greatly enjoyed the well-attended annual Fall Music Concert October 18th, 2016 at 7pm in the Hingham High School Auditorium. The concert included all spectacular ranges of music from all of Hingham’s dedicated music ensembles.

Chorus Director Mr. Young started off the concert with a lovey chorale Since First I saw Your Face by Thomas Ford, a mesmerizing song, followed by The Journey from Symphony in E minor by Antonín Dvorák. A quick set change prompted Mr. Young’s next group Choral Spectrum, singing I Dream a World by André J. Thomas, which really made wonders. Junior Trumpet player Michael Hill puts such ability into perspective stating that “Although the chorus does not have the luxury of an instrument to project sound, their impressive booming voices always filled the room”. The last group Mixed Chorus sang In These Delightful Pleasant Groves by Henry Purcell and Elijah Rock, a fantastic closing for the singers, as well as for their accompaniment, very talented Junior Karen Ji on the piano and Senior Sarah Calame on the violin. Mr. Young’s chorus struck a chord with the audience as loud applause filled the auditorium.

Orchestra Director Ms. Sassano started with a piece combining all of Orchestra’s members from freshmen to seniors in Andante Festivo by Jean Sibelius. A jolting piece that brought back many memories for the seniors’ last fall concert. Next, Freshman Orchestra impressively played Fantasia on an Original Theme by Joseph J. Phillips. The dedication and work they put in really showed, as did the Upperclassman Orchestras Simple Symphony and III. Sentimental Saraband both by Benjamin Britten and Overture from the Abduction from the Seraglio by Mozart, which demonstrated their sophisticated bowing and technique. A wide range of well played music prompted much praise.

Shortly after, last but not least of the night, Band Director Mr. Cincotta directly started with Concert Band’s King Cotton by John Philip Sousa. A loud and jumpy piece that had a dance-like beat followed by their last piece Ceremony, Chant, and Ritual by David Shaffer, a complete twist to the spark of the first piece, a very prideful and glorious tone. Up next Wind ensemble took the stage starting with On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss by David. R. Holsinger. A very nostalgic piece dealing with heartbreak and emotion. But the last piece of the night, Summer Dances by Brian Balmages, a bright and bubbly piece, brought the audience and fellow musicians to cheers. Senior Trombone player Dan Carr described the moment and what went through his thoughts standing in front of the applauding audience, “I stood up and looked to the crowd, smiled and said to myself I hope they didn’t notice I played in the wrong key for the first half of that piece”. The applauding audience would beg to differ as it was a fine closing to the start of the music concerts this year.

If this concert was amiss, there are plenty more opportunities to listen to all ensembles. Stay “tuned” for the winter concerts in December.