HHS Volleyball: Senior Night 2016

The volleyball teams in their huddle just before the game began.

Caroline Kourafas, Contributing Writer

On Friday, October 28, 2016, the Hingham High School Volleyball team faced Fontbonne Academy from Milton, MA. This was the last home game for the girls, and the seniors’ last game on the Hingham High court. Before the game, the seniors were recognized for their dedication to the volleyball program and given flowers. This year’s seniors are Emma Ranocha, Maeve Maloney, and team manager Sarah Herde.

To kick off the games, the Hingham JV team had an exciting match. After Hingham won their first set 25-10, Fontbonne made an unexpected comeback that led to a second set win of 25-23. Hingham Sophomore, Claire Haney commented on the Hingham girls, exclaiming, “their spirit is unbelievable” . Hingham’s JV team then progressed to win the third set 25-11, completing the season with 20 wins and 1 loss.

Before the Varsity game began, the crowd was alive; the football and freshmen volleyball teams led cheers as fans joined in!  The Hingham varsity team dominated Fontbonne, the scores being 25-11, 25-15, and 25-22. Hingham won all three matches, ending the season 15-5.  Junior, Ashtin Burbank, is a proud supporter of the Hingham Volleyball teams. At the game she said, “I like how the other sport teams, like the football team, come out to support volleyball”. In fact, a new club known as the “School Climate Committee”, is encouraging other clubs and sports teams to attend one another’s games to improve the school’s atmosphere and support one another. They are, in the student body’s opinion, successfully increasing school spirit.

As the evening closed out, the crowd reveled. Hingham Varsity Volleyball won all three matches, ending the season 15-5.  Good luck to the girls next week when they compete in the tournament!