Robotics Team Concludes Build Season

Curran Dillis

Team 5000’s finished robot being tested at the TRACES building

Curran Dillis, Contributing Writer

This Tuesday, February 22, marked the end of the HHS Hammerheads Robotics Team’s Build Season. For the past six weeks, students and adult mentors met tirelessly every day after school to construct and program a robot https://www.viagrasansordonnancefr.com/viagra-cialis/ that will compete in the FIRST Steamworks challenge (information can be found here, and run down of the competition found here).

A traditionally stressful day for the robotics teams of the First Robotics Challenge (FRC), Hingham’s Team 5000 began Tuesday morning’s meeting precisely at nine in the morning to finish off their creation and bag it up, as the rules of the organization dictate.  Thus, they surrendered their ability to add anything to the structure and code of their robot in the coming weeks.

The group of about a dozen students, aided by their mentors, worked for hours until they felt they had succeeded and done all they could to perfect their design.

Afterward, members were treated to a more relaxed environment. Truly, as soon as the decision was made to conclude their work, the mood in the TRACES building took a turn for the celebratory. In addition to the pleasant mood in the room, the kids of the robotics team sat down together around a sandwich platter provided by the mentors and a delicious cake made by captain Kyle Thorne.

I took the time to ask a few people from the team their thoughts regarding the season. Dylan Davis, a junior and veteran of the team, described the scene as “hectic… but we managed to create an efficient and practical design!”

Mrs. Flanagan, HHS teacher and robotics mentor, felt similarly about the outcome of the Build Season, noting how this year’s robot “surpassed our expectations in terms of what we were able to accomplish in a short six week period of time. This is the first time in our four years in existence that the robot is able to accomplish a task autonomously.” 

Stay tuned for updates from the HHS Hammerheads, and please consider attending a competition at Bridgewater-Raynham High School on March 11th and 12th, or Bryant University in Rhode Island on March 25th and 26th. Go Hammerheads!