The Dreaded Driver’s Test

Claire Stone, Photography Editor

There are two philosophies on taking your drivers test, some think that it’s the best day ever, others dread the day. I fell into category number 1, I was waiting for that day for so long, hoping it would become the best day ever. Let’s just say, that didn’t happen.

My driver’s test was on November 30th of my junior year, just a short 17 days after I was eligible to take the test, which was still way too long of a wait for me. I remember waking up that morning and feeling a terrible mix of excitement and fear, unsure if I would even make it out of my test alive, let alone pass.

A junior, Oliver Dupee, who is yet to take his test, says that he is “just so nervous, I don’t know what to do. For me, my driver’s license is a representation of my freedom, if I fail then I don’t know what I would do.” Which is exactly how I felt day of the test last year. The freedom that comes with getting your license is like no other, it brings to life a whole new world yet to be explored. From being able to drive yourself everywhere to getting a later curfew because your parents can go to bed early because they don’t have to drive you, every part of getting your license is exciting.

A senior, Conor Lowther, said that he “Didn’t have to parallel park and that’s the only reason why I passed.” Conor’s lucky situation doesn’t happen for many, as you usually have to complete a dreaded parallel park job with less than a foot of space between the car and the curb, the thing that causes many people to fail.

On my test day, I drove there with my dad and as soon as we arrived the instructor took me to my car to begin the test. I got in the car with my dad in the seat behind me, and was already sweating. The man asked me to flick each blinker, test the headlights, and honk the horn, and then we were off. I pulled out of the parking space, and we went out on the road.

After completing the parallel parking and backing up in a straight line, we were turning back onto the road, and I made the mistake of crossing the yellow line while turning. The man, knowing I ran track at the high school, slowly asked me “what happens when you step out of your lane in track?” and I answered, saying “You get disqualified.” He simply replied with “Well, you just got disqualified.” Heartbroken, I kept driving, just wanting the test to be over so I could bawl my eyes out. As we pulled back into the parking spot, the man told me I would have to reschedule my test as he hands me a slip of paper and my permit. Just as he steps out of the car he told me to flip the paper over, and on it was written “CONGRATULATIONS”, I had passed the test. Surprised and confused, I showed my dad and we both agreed the man was a jerk, but even so, he did pass me.

Your driver’s test is exciting and new, opening a whole new door in your life.