Sledding Season Returns

Meaghan Burke

The author’s little brother sleds down a snowy slope.

Meaghan Burke, Contributing Writer

“We’re riding in a wonderland of snow,” is one of the many lyrics mentioning the excitement of sledding during Christmas time. “Sleigh Ride,” the song that the lyric above is mentioned in, is only one of the numerous carols played during Christmas.

Fall has turned into winter, and the weather is turning colder by the day.

When the seasons finally change, people put summer clothing in the attic while pulling down their winter clothes. From t-shirts to ugly Christmas sweaters, and from skirts to pants. Soon every chimney will be blowing smoke out of the top, with warm fires burning inside the house.

When asked about her perspective regarding sledding, freshman Elise Ober said, “I like sledding because, when I’m going really fast it makes me feel free. My favorite memory of when I went sledding was one time, me and my friend Amber taped frisbees to our feet and skated down a hill. She made it all the way, but I fell face first about halfway down.”

Elise remembers the great time with a strong sense of happiness, and will always cherish the lively feeling she experienced when she went sledding.

Freshman Carter Anderson agreed, sharing, “I like going sledding with friends on an icy area. My favorite spot to go sledding would be at the South Shore Country club golf course. And my favorite memory is sledding in my hometown, Connecticut.”

Both freshmen’s favorite memory involved sledding with his or hers friends. Sledding is the winter activity that brings people together by the thrill of flying down a hill and laughing hysterically.

From a young age, children are taken by their parents and showed the joy that is sledding.  This tradition allows sledding to remain an excitedly anticipated pastime. There is no age when sledding can become boring.

Sledding is the absolute freedom that people of all ages want to feel. And during wintertime, this joy can happen anywhere and with anyone. Sledding represents a time for building meaningful memories that will be cherished forever.