3 Ways To Keep Your Passwords Safe

This+picture+is+of+a+notebook+for+passwords%2C+writing+down+log+in+information+and+auto+conformation+for+a+website.+
This picture is of a notebook for passwords, writing down log in information and auto conformation for a website.

Meaghan Burke

Meaghan Burke

Meaghan Burke, Contributing Writer

A question that goes through anyone’s brain when signing up for a new account is “What should be my password?”

People make their passwords anything from something obvious, sentimental, or just plain random. Often times, many of these people tell a person they trust—a friend or family member—so when they forget their password they just ask. Unfortunately, this is one way that other people find out a password and use it for negative reasons.

There are many different methods people can use to remember their passwords without relying on someone else. Here are three of the most helpful but different ways to do so.

One way to save a password would be to write all of them down in a password notebook. This could help because, whenever you find yourself forgetting a password, the notebook would have the website name and the information for both the username and password.

Freshman Olivia Wegener uses this method and said, “When I don’t remember one and need to know it I can go and look back in the book.”

Another effective way to save your password would be to have the same one for each website. This is a useful way because as long as you know your password for at least one of your accounts, you could just use a password from a previous website and that would be the trick.

This might not be practical for some but this concept does have its usefulness. Inga Andruszkiewicz, an eighth grader at Hingham Middle schooler stated, “I use the same one for most of my accounts so I don’t need to remember too much. I don’t have to memorize too much.”

The final convenient form would be to automatically save both the username and password to Google, so whenever you sign in you are automatically connected to your account.

Though this way has its drawbacks, since it only works on your own personal devices, it also has its pros. This method would help make it so that you never need to write down something and endure the torture of forgetting  your password.

These are only three of the many ways of how to remember your password without needing to take unsafe measures. But every person is different and has their own different way of remembering their passwords. Regardless of the method you choose, at the end of the day, make sure you keep your passwords secret—it’s important!