February Is Here

Excitement in the air for warm weather and Valentines Day in the Month of February (Flickr).

Sabrina Hatch, Contributing Writer

February is now in full swing, and January is a thing of the past. Although many people are frightened by such a rapid time change, most students at Hingham High agree that February a breath of fresh air.

After the highly stressful month that of January, which included cramming in material before the new semester, snow days, and, worst of all, midyears, students throughout Hingham High are now reflecting on the past month and are ready to move forward.

Freshman Katie Hartnett explains taking her first midyears, saying, “I’m honestly just kind of relieved. They weren’t as hard as I initially thought they would be.”

Everyone here at Hingham High is sighing in relief now that the strain of studying and striving to attain good grades is finally over after many weeks of preparation.

Next, among other things that come with the month of February, Valentine’s Day seems quite prominent. Although some view it as an arbitrary holiday, most are excited for boxed chocolates, cards, and sweethearts. With or without a girlfriend or boyfriend, everyone can enjoy the day with heartfelt letters, decorations, and proclamations of the beloved.

Finally, the most excitable aspect of the month of February is definitely the warmer weather. Despite Spring starting on March 20, no one can deny the fact that the end of January means more sun and less snow, and with this change in weather most students are excited for what will be offered in the beautiful weather.

Freshman Mike Rizzo explains, “I am excited for the warm weather, so I can play basketball with my friends.”

Due to the harsh temperatures and groggy days of slushy snow, most are ready for more sun and to get outside and enjoy the world around them.

Again, with this new shift in weather students are also excited for upcoming spring sports, and many kids feel like, along with the changing of the months, they are turning over a new leaf.

Although Hingham High offers plenty of different activities for winter, many can agree that they are nothing compared to playing sports outside in the warm weather. Softball, tennis, and sailing among other sports will  actively encourage good sportsmanship and athletic ability within the near future.

Katie Hartnett feels ecstatic for these new opportunities, and she says, “I think the end of winter sports and the beginning for spring sports will be a big transition, but one I am really excited for.” All student are eager to start playing sports they have been waiting for.

Overall, the month of February will be the beginning of the rest of the year as it serves as a crucial turning point for many who are still struggling to find their way through piles of work and stressful responsibility.

January is over, semester one has come to an end, and a new year has begun. Everyone at Hingham High can start fresh with the month of February!