Open House at HHS

HHS welcomed Parents and Guardians this Thursday September 27th. Photo by John Felan.

Stephanie Robinson, Contributing Writer

Every year, a few weeks after the beginning of school, Hingham High School opens its doors to greet the parents and guardians of students. This Thursday, September 27, HHS did so once again.  Open House allows for educators to speak directly with parents, and give them an idea of how the school year will proceed for their children. 

Following a speech given in the auditorium, parents mirror their students’ schedules and meet all of their students’ teachers. Due to parents’ unfamiliarity with the high school, they need some assistance finding the correct classrooms. That’s where HHS’s Student Council steps in. Student Council members volunteer to stand in strategic locations (like the dreaded main hallway 4-way intersection) to give directions to parents.

Despite needing to give up several hours of their own time, students felt excited about Open House. Senior Lily Denneen explained, “I enjoyed representing both Student Council and the class of 2019, and had fun helping the parents of my friends find their child’s classes.”

Even though they had a big responsibility, volunteers still managed to have a bit of fun too. Sophomore Grace LePenske said, “[The way parents] felt the other night made me remember how I was on my first day of high school, and it was really fun to see.” Although any seasoned student could tell you that a science class would be nowhere near a history class, parents are not nearly as familiar with the school (they resemble freshmen on the first day).

Overall, Open House is very important at the high school. It is, in many cases, the only time parents and guardians meet teachers face-to-face. They learn the expectations set for their children and can gain a better appreciation for everything their children learn and do everyday.