A Promising Season Ahead for Hingham Track Team

Lizzie+Quinlivan

Lizzie Quinlivan

Members of the Men’s track team cheer on their teammates during the 1000m race.

Lizzie Quinlivan, Junior Editor

Hingham High School’s Girls and Boys Track and Field teams defeated Hanover in the first Patriot League Track Meet of the winter season. On Wednesday, December 12, Hingham athletes arrived to a crowded Reggie Lewis Center in Roxbury, the home track of the entire Patriot League. Although Hingham only competed against Hanover, multiple Patriot League teams held their respective meets during the same time, serving as an opportunity for Hingham athletes to scope out the competition for upcoming meets.

Despite the challenge of competing alongside athletes from across the Patriot League, a number of Hingham athletes proved the strength of the Hingham Track and Field program, placing ahead of athletes from multiple schools. The girls’ team swept Hanover in the 200 meter, 55 meter, 300 meter, 400 metes, 1 mile, 55 meter hurdles, high jump, and long jump, while the men’s team swept Hanover in the 55 meter, 300 metes, 600 meter, 1000 meter, 2 mile, 55 meter hurdles, high jump, and long jump. In addition, almost all Hingham varsity relays won against not only the Hanover teams, but also all other relay teams in the Patriot League. Hingham’s top point-scoring events allowed the Harbormen to win their first seasonal meet.

Before practice on Thursday, Coach Diedricksen reported that the girls’ team scored “86-19, which is amazing for the first meet of the year.” Although the results of the meet only count against Hanover, the success of the Hingham Track Team suggests that a promising season is ahead.