Have ‘The Simpsons’ Done it Again?

Walt Disney Entertainment.

Many armed Bills storm the Capital building, from the episode “The Day Violence Died” 1989.

Jack Kelleher, Contributing Writer

The year 2020 almost felt like a parody, and unfortunately 2021 is starting to feel like one as well. The Simpsons has been airing since 1989, and over the years they have had some crazy predictions come true. The existence of smart watches, the NSA tracking Americans, and even the election of president Trump were all predicted by The Simpsons, and with the tragic news about the insurrection at the United States Capitol building on January 6th 2021, another two predictions may come true.

The 1996 episode “The Day Violence Died” feature a parody of the popular Schoolhouse Rock song “I’m Just a Bill,” and at the end of the parody, after an amendment to the constitution has been passed, many other gun-wielding anthropomorphic bills storm up the Capitol steps, one even carrying a bomb. While this can be viewed as a statement on gun violence, many have interpreted it as yet another prophetic moment of The Simpsons, predicting the storming of the capitol building, 25 years prior to the actual event.

When asked about this and other Simpsons’ predictions, sophomore Sam Morris was skeptical, saying “The Simpsons has so many episodes that it is impossible not to have some crazy stuff come true.” While this may be true, the multiple times these predictions have happened and the striking accuracy has some fans thinking one of the creators is a time-traveler.

This is not the only Simpsons prediction: another one, this time from a November 1st episode “Treehouse of Horror XXXI” shows Homer standing on the roof of his house, armed with a rifle and wearing armor made of kitchen utensils, with the world burning down around him. The date on the bottom of his screen reads January 21, 2021, which is Biden’s Inauguration Day. With the insurrection at the capital, these event are one step closer to happening. When asked his opinion on the meme and how the Simpsons keep predicting things, junior Jack Francis Brennan eloquently replied, “I too am dumbfounded, bamboozled even, by the Simpsons unnatural ability to predict future events with such precision.”

Will these predictions come true? Is there a time-traveler working for the Simpsons? These questions remain unanswered, but hopefully for all of America they do not.