Shocking Interview Exposes Royal Life

BBC

Oprah interviews Meghan Markle and Prince Harry

Ava Malloy, Contributing Writer

There has been much speculation about the reason behind the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s move to the United States and decision to leave their positions as senior working members of England’s royal family. Many blamed the Duchess, Meghan Markle, for uprooting her family.

On Sunday, March 7th, we learned the truth when CBS aired Oprah Winfrey’s interview with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. This prime-time special dropped shocking bombshells and revealed the reality of Meghan Markle’s experience with royal life. Movies make marrying a prince seem like a dream come true but for Meghan Markle, marrying into the Royal family was no fairytale.

Meghan, Harry, and their son Archie left England and moved to Canada and eventually California for several reasons. Meghan had been relentlessly attacked by British tabloids ever since her marriage in 2018. When Oprah read some of the outrageous tabloid titles, it was Meghan’s first time hearing most of them.

Junior Alex Denning commented on how the press compares Meghan and her sister-in-law Kate, explaining, “I’ve been looking at comparisons on how the British media treated Princess Kate vs. Meghan and it’s honestly disturbing. There would be articles with the same topic, but for Kate, it would be positive, and Meghan negative. It’s very clear it’s all racism, just Britain did a better job of hiding it then the US.”

One of the comparisons between the two royals is that they both ate avocados during pregnancy. An article about Kate was titled “Kate’s Morning Sickness Cure? Prince William Gifted With an Avocado for Pregnant Duchess”. On the other hand, Meghan’s article was titled, “Meghan Markle’s Beloved Avocado Linked to Human Rights Abuse and Drought, Millennial Shame.”

Alex also touched upon the racial issues brought up in the Oprah interview. Meghan is mixed race,  and during the interview she confessed that “there were concerns and conversations about how dark [Archie’s] skin might be when he’s born.” Out of respect the couple did not reveal who in the royal family made this comment about Archie.

When Archie was born in 2019, the media reported that the couple chose not to give Archie a title. In the interview, we learned that the royal institution made this decision. Also, it was seen as a break in tradition when Harry and Meghan did not take a photo outside the hospital with their newborn son, but in the interview the couple explained they were not asked to take a photo.

More surprising information was dropped when Meghan explained that she had been feeling suicidal and no one was there to help and support her beside her husband. Before Meghan and Harry chose to step away from their senior positions in the royal family, Meghan explained, “I just didn’t want to be alive anymore. And that was very clear and real and frightening.” Meghan noted that she went to human resources and the royal institution and no one would help her.

One of the primary reasons that Harry and Meghan left their roles was that they were not supported or protected. Sophomore Kerry Breen noted that “After watching the popular Netflix series, The Crown, which exemplifies the poor treatment the Royal Family expressed towards Princess Diana, I was not surprised with Meghan Markle’s claims in which she had the courage to bring public. But, there are always two sides to every story.” Kerry connects the treatment of Princess Diana, Harry’s mother, to how the royal family treated Meghan.

Harry’s mother is one reason that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had the ability to leave their duties as senior members. Harry commented during the interview that they were cut off financially from the royal family, but Diana left Harry money. Harry also remarked on what his mother would have thought if she was still alive. He explained, “I think she would feel very angry with how this has played out. And very sad. But ultimately, all she’d ever want is for us to be happy”.

The family is happy with their decision to move as the interview showed them tending to their chickens, playing with their dogs, and even announced that they were having a baby girl. The interview left many questions unanswered and shocked many with new insight into royal life. What is clear is through their foundation, Archwell, Meghan and Harry plan to use their position to share stories through an uplifting and truthful lens. This interview, although controversial, has resulted in many conversations about race and mental health around the world.