Met Gala 2021: A Classic take on American Royalty 

Meghan Carr, Contributing Writer

Lovingly referred to as “fashion’s biggest night out,” the iconic Met Gala or Ball hosts an annual fundraising benefit for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute in New York City. Simply, the Met is the fashion equivalent to the Oscars. The event, spearheaded by Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour, welcomes celebrities, actresses, influencers, stars, industry professionals, and young creatives. Well-known and upcoming brands buy dinner tables at the gala for hundreds of thousands of dollars. They invite celebrities to sit at their table and dress them in couture, over-the-top garments ranging from ballgowns to catsuits to cloaks according to the yearly theme to show off their brand’s personal style and customer. 

This year, the celebration was delayed due to COVID; instead of the 1st Monday of May, it took place on September 13th. For the first time, the Costume Institute will host a two-part exhibition to celebrate America’s deep history and bright future. Part one, which premiered this September, “America: A Lexicon of Fashion,” will stay on display when “America: An Anthology of Fashion” opens on May 5, 2022, both in the American Wing of the museum. The shows will remain running through September 5, 2022. 

Gen-Z took over the Met 2021 carpet, illustrating the future of America as many of the young faces used their platforms to participate in and amplify social change over the past 2 years. Each year, the event appoints several co-chairs, or faces of the evening; and this year’s were all under age 25: inaugural Poet Amanda Gorman, singer Billie Eilish, actor Timothee Chalamet, and renowned tennis player Naomi Osaka. The co-chairs help with the food, decorations, and overall “vibe of the evening.” They also help aid the Honorary chairs, Anna Wintour, designer Tom Ford, and head of Instagram Adam Mosseri, that primarily deal with logistics, organization, invitations, and the coveted guest list. 

Like every year, some specific stars captured the media and viewer’s attention. Kim Kardashian, for instance, wore an all-black fully-masked Balenciaga tight bodysuit and train with a 10k dollar ponytail extension. The controversial ensemble sparked different interpretations: some saw it as a message about her estranged husband, Kanye West’s, new album, or possibly about wanting anonymity as a famous American celebrity. Some other chic guests included: model Iman in a gold-feathered Harris Reed caged ball gown, singer A$AP Rocky in a quilted ERL cloak, actress Sienna Miller in an old-Hollywood inspired Gucci dress, musician Grimes in sci-fi inspired Iris Van Herpen, power couple Justin and Hailey Bieber in La Maison de Drew and YSL, and Kendall Jenner in sequin Givenchy as a nod to Audrey Hepburn.  

Many Hingham High students watched the Gala on live television or on Vogue’s YouTube. Sophomore Dennelly Bellows says, “I loved all the looks this year. They seemed to be more laid back and truly American.” Similarly, Junior Kate Radulski comments, “My favorite look of the evening was by influencer Emma Chamberlain who wore a gem-stoned Louis Vuitton dress. Her after-party pajama inspired look was really cool too.”