Senior Spotlight: Deirdre O’Donnell

Mimi Jiang-Yu

Senior Deirdre O’Donnell will be attending Fairfield University in Fairfield Connecticut next fall.

Mimi Jiang-Yu, Photo Editor

This week, The Harborlight interviewed senior Deirdre “Dee” O’Donnell. Dee is one of the integral members of the cross country and track and field teams at Hingham High School. She is also an avid member of Girls Learn International and the president of the Medical Sciences Club. She will be attending Fairfield University in Fairfield, Connecticut next fall!

Q: What school are you attending?

DO: This fall, I will be attending Fairfield University’s Egan School of Nursing and Health Studies.

Q: What decision plan did you apply for?

DO: I applied regular decision!

Q: What are you planning on studying? (major/minor/etc.)

DO: I am planning on majoring in Nursing!

Q: What were you looking for in a school going into the admissions process?

DO: Academically, I originally desired to enter as a biology major with an opportunity to pursue a pre-health, specifically pre-medical track. Later, I also decided to apply as a nursing major, to offer variation. Logistically, I also wanted a school that was relatively close to home (ie; I did not have to take a flight) and also relatively small (under 8,000 students). Socially, I searched for schools that had an active student body, through indication of sports (whether intramural or Division 1), clubs, and the support through student health systems and campus life (dorms, roommates, etc.).

Q: Why did you choose Fairfield University?

DO: I ultimately chose Fairfield University for many reasons! My older sister Tracey attended Fairfield for Business and had an incredible experience. Additionally, I was drawn to the rigor of their accredited Nursing program, and its affiliation with local hospitals, which would allow for hands-on, clinical learning. 

Q: How would you describe the college admissions process?

DO: I would describe the college admissions process as daunting! 

Q: If you could go back in time to September 2021, what advice would you give to your past self?

DO: I would advise my past self to avoid overthinking individual assignments and focus on enjoying the process of learning! While compiling a competitive college application, it can be very easy to quickly burn out, become overwhelmed and forget the joy in your favorite subjects or seeing friends at school. 

Q: What are you looking forward to at Fairfield University?

DO: I am looking forward to living on Fairfield Beach during my senior year!

Q: Favorite memory at Hingham High School

DO: My favorite memory at Hingham High School has been prepping and cleaning up this year’s homecoming dance with the 2022 Senior Class Officers. 

Q: A message to a favorite teacher

DO: To Mr. Melanson: I have always disliked math. However, your genuine attitude during class and unadmitted joy in making students laugh has made me gain a greater appreciation for derivatives. 

Congratulations, Dee! Best of luck at Fairfield University and in all your future endeavors!