Honoring Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

WPA Pool

Queen Eizabeth II always carried herself with grace and style.

Meghan Carr, Contributing Writer

Queen Elizabeth II, the United Kingdom’s longest reigning monarch, recently died on September 8th, after 70 years on the throne. She peacefully passed at Balmoral, her Scottish estate surrounded by her children and heir, eldest-son King Charles III. 

Her Majesty’s passing marks the end of an era, having ruled through many historical landmarks, from the landing on the moon to Brexit, and a total of 15 prime ministers. Throughout her years of devoted and beloved service to England and the Commonwealth, the Queen has been worldly revered. She endured a century of political and personal storms with grit and grace, coined as the pinnacle of class, elegance, and female power. She symbolized stability to her subjects and the world, striking a pristine balance between hospitality and vulnerability and protection of her inner world and family with a loving strength. 

Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary, named after prior monarchs, was born on April 21, 1926. She grew up as a young princess in a family of ten and married her removed cousin, Philip, duke of Edinburgh, in 1947. The royal pair went on to have four children together, including Charles, who has just succeeded her. Elizabeth was crowned queen following her father’s death in 1952. She maintained an interest in government business and favored simplicity in the court. In the ‘90’s, Elizabeth’s family went through several scandals, including the death of Charles’s wife, the beloved Princess Diana, wife to Prince William and Harry. More recently, her grandson, Prince Harry, ceased all royal obligations in 2020 and moved to California with his wife Meghan after a scandalous dissolvement from Buckingham. 

Recently, the Queen celebrated 70 years on the throne in a decadent Platinum Jubilee in May of 2022. “When it comes to how to mark seventy years as your Queen, there is no guidebook to follow. It really is a first. But I have been humbled and deeply touched that so many people have taken to the streets to celebrate my Platinum Jubilee,” Queen Elizabeth II thanked her English citizens and worldwide supporters in an Instagram Post, who made the event a weekend to remember.

Even at 96, she continued to undertake a variety of engagements, ranging from charity and school visits, hosting important figures such as heads of state, being the commander in chief of the UK armed forces, to leading England in anniversaries and remembrance events. Elizabeth’s progeny, 4 sons, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, continue to carry her legacy through their own service endeavors and graceful front. 

The palace did not provide many details about the Queen’s passing for privacy; however, her health had been under close watch in the past months after experiencing COVID-19 and mobility issues. Prince William and his wife Princess Kate and Prince Harry and his wife Dutchess Meghan reunited at Windsor to pay tribute to Elizabeth and speak with English citizens, consoling each other in their shared loss. 

Many Hingham High students heard the news of Queen Elizabeth’s death. Junior Elizabeth Schembri comments, “I am sad to hear that Queen Elizabeth died, but she lived a long and beautiful life that should be remembered.” Freshman Will Carr says, “It is very nice that the world has come together to honor Queen Elizabeth for her service to England.”