How Many Clubs is Too Many?

Delaney Stabb

One of many clubs at HHS, the Global Citizenship Program hosts its first meeting of the year.

Delaney Staab, Contributing Writer

With over 60 clubs at Hingham High, the options are only as great as your imagination. It seems the only requirements to start a club are a teacher advisor and a dream. However, this surplus of clubs seems to be the demise of some. 

“I think some clubs just don’t need to be there, like Bible Club for example,” says Erata, a junior at HHS and a member of the Chinese Club. To her, the Chinese Club is different. She expressed to me that she wished to “learn more about the culture” of the language she’s taking. For Erata, Chinese Club is convenient due to it only being monthly meetings and, as she described, “chill.” Ms. Li is the advisor for the Chinese Club and teaches Chinese I through IV. 

Gabe Synott, a returning member of the robotics club, says that the club “gives [him] something to do most winters.” Gabe was recommended to the club by a recent graduate. He says, “It’s fun and interesting, plus the people are really cool.” Mrs. Flanagan, a chemistry teacher, is one of the main advisors for robotics. 

But how many clubs are too many? As it becomes clear students only participate in a few clubs. Is the amount of clubs at Hingham High worth it? Or is it good? Are a large amount of clubs a sign of variety in student hobbies and interests?

Ultimately, there will never be enough clubs. Student interests will continue to change and new topics will become more interesting as time goes on. Maybe financial literacy isn’t exactly your cup of tea, but who knows what passion you’ll find elsewhere. Perhaps your interests lie in learning American Sign Language or making the school’s yearbook; meticulously crafting away at the best way to encapsulate the school year spent onto pages. This school is populated with over 1,200 students meaning there are enough clubs for roughly twenty students per group. This offers a sense of intimacy and belonging amongst your peers, as together you share common interests. After all, isn’t that the whole point of a club?