HHS Students Exhibit Projects at Hingham History Day 2023

Ella Zhu

Exterior of building

Ella Zhu, Contributing Writer

On Sunday, February 12, Hingham High School juniors presented and interviewed their National History Day projects at the Hingham Heritage Museum of the Hingham Historical Society in order to qualify for regional competition. The selection of juniors displayed projects ranging from research papers to tri-boards to performances in specific topics of research under the NHD 2023 theme “Frontiers in History: People, Places, and Ideas.”

Hingham Historical Society’s Assistant Director Sarah Doggett shares that “National History Day is a day when we celebrate history with all of our juniors at the Hingham High School, and because we are here at the Hingham Historical Society where we promote and preserve and educate on history it seems like a natural fit to partner with HPS, we have a long history of partnership between Hingham Public Schools and the Historical Society.”

The Society’s Executive Director, Deirdre Anderson, told Harborlight that “we have partnered with the Hingham Public Schools for their local national History Day competition for about 5 years. Because of our partnership with out schools, it was a natural evolution from our high school internship program and knowing that all the juniors participate in National History Day we wanted to take advantage of our museum space to make the local competition more of a big deal and celebration and so this is the first year in three that we’ve returned to the in-person judging. Students that win today move onto the regional competition and we love to bring students, their families, and the community into the museum, to celebrate National History Day because of course if this people lights a spark [with] young adults to continue in the field of history and some day perhaps public history, we love that, because that’s what we do.”