Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

The Lewiston, Maine Shooting

Hilary Swift – New York Times

On October 25, 2023, a central city in Maine faced a horrific tragedy. Lewiston is the most populated city in the state of Maine, located halfway between the cities of Portland and Augusta. A sunny day in this beautiful city turned into a tragic day that these citizens would never forget and would inevitably change the city forever. 

In Lewiston on October 25 at around 6:50 p.m. Robert Card entered the Just-In-Time Recreation, the local Lewiston bowling alley, while a youth-league event was happening there. Card had a semi-automatic rifle in his grasp. It did not take long for attention from nearby businesses and neighbors to arise. At 6:56 p.m., the first emergency call was made to the police by the shooting range around the block. Workers at this nearby establishment heard gunshots that were somewhat unfamiliar and very different from the normal shots they heard at the gun range. Sadly the police could not arrive in time, and seven people died in the bowling alley. Only twelve minutes later, at 7:08 p.m. Robert Card moved four miles south of Just-In-Time to Schemengees Bar and Grille. Once Card entered the building, he killed eight more people. Police showed up at 7:10 p.m., only two minutes after he entered the bar, but they were too late. Robert Card had already run but left a mess behind him.

A total of eighteen people died, while thirteen others were injured. Seven died in the bowling alley, and eight were killed at the bar. Four of the people killed in the restaurant were deaf and were simply having a fun evening participating in a cornhole tournament to support the deaf community. Three people died in the hospital, and thirteen more were injured from this horrible event. Two days after this tragedy, the police found the perpetrator dead due to a self-inflicted gun wound. It is believed that Robert Card had severe mental health problems and was very unstable, but the motive may never be discovered on why he did what he did. 

Many students at Hingham High School felt very sad about what happened in Maine. 

Sydney Sowles, a freshman stated, “This was a great tragedy for this city, but it was also a great loss for the country. There has been war in our country for years about gun violence and the right to bare arms, and without any action towards a movement against this these events will continue to happen. Thus far in 2023 there have been more shooting than days this year. This must come to an end, or many more will die”. 

Additionally, Caroline Leahy, who is also a freshman at HHS said, “I feel very sorry for the victims and families who have lost someone during this event. My hearts go out to them”.

This tragedy is the tenth deadliest mass shooting in United States history as well as the deadliest shooting of 2023. This event did not just affect the victims or the citizens of Lewiston, this has affected the entire country in a very deep way