Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Hingham High Students Face a Challenging Final Week Before Break

Study guide for a precalculus class regarding their quiz before winter break. Photo taken by Andrew Healey

Throughout elementary and middle school, the week approaching Christmas break was always a cause for celebration. The days leading up to Friday were filled with fun activities, movies, and holiday spirit from both the students and staff alike. Students could expect their final school days before vacation to slow down, curriculums halted, and work lessened as the break approached rapidly. 

Ironically, for most students at the high school, the month of December is not seen as a month of festivities as it is a time for demanding work. As winter break draws near, students find themselves navigating through a challenging final week marked by unprecedented feelings of stress and anxiety. One of the contributing factors to this rise in stress is homework assignments. Many students feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work given to them by all their classes across the board. In addition, many students recount that they see an increased number of tests towards the end of December which students must plan for on top of the other assignments. Sophomore Lauren Walker remarked that, “For pretty much every day this week I have had to stay up past midnight to manage my homework and studying.”  

The increase in assignments seems to be because of the upcoming end of term two towards the end of January in addition to the subsequent midyear exams students will have to take. For teachers, the increased workload is to prepare students for both of these factors so students can be prepared before the start of the second semester.  

On the other hand, students who must make early commitments for holiday plans or that become ill leading up to break must miss many tests and assignments. Junior Chris Hoppe who has been sick for four days mentioned, “I will have to make up for the tests I missed from my absence when I get back in January.” For these unfortunate students, time during break will have to be allocated to completing assignments and/or studying for any missed exams. 

Regardless, students across the entirety of Hingham High School should feel comfortable knowing that a longer break awaits them after their hard work. Hopefully, the following week will help rejuvenate students enough for 2024 and its subsequent midyear exams.