Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Top 5 Snowstorm Comfort Dishes at HHS

(Photo Credits Tracy Winter) HHS students enjoyed their late start to the school day Monday thanks to the 2-hour delay.

Although the weather this winter cannot seem to stay consistent, in the wake of the recent snowstorm and two-hour delay HHS students scored this past Monday, we asked HHS students what their favorite snowstorm comfort foods are. Sometimes, when you’re in a snowstorm, you want to curl up in a blanket with your favorite warm food, so hopefully, this list will provide ideas for your future comfort meals!

• Hot Chocolate 

As a snowstorm classic, there’s nothing better than a steaming cup of hot chocolate after sledding or shoveling the driveway in the cold winter weather. Although not technically a food, hot chocolate is a fan favorite among many, like freshman Hayley Kost, who shared, “I like hot chocolate because it warms me up after being out in the cold.” In addition to that, there are endless possibilities for new flavors of hot chocolate, like adding marshmallows, whipped cream, or a candy cane to top it all off. 

• Chocolate Chip Cookies

Following the sweets trend, chocolate chip cookies are a classic warm food that everybody loves for the winter season. Not only delicious, chocolate chip cookies are a blast to make with family, friends, or just by yourself to pass the time. HHS sophomore Alexa Harris says “I would probably have to say that my favorite snowstorm comfort food is chocolate chip cookies because they are fun to make when you’re snowed in.” So next time you are snowed in and you have power, consider baking some chocolate chip cookies for a delicious way to pass the time!

• Mac and Cheese

Moving onto savory foods, mac and cheese is an unbeatable comforting combo that is delicious on its own, or as a side dish to complete a meal. When the weather starts to get colder and the snow starts to fall, many begin to crave a nice warm bowl of mac and cheese, including sophomore Hannah Givney who says, “Every winter I crave mac and cheese because it just makes me feel all warm, cozy, and relaxed.” Whether it’s straight from the box or made from scratch, mac and cheese will be a go-to comfort meal this winter season. 

• Soup

There are endless varieties of soups to choose from for your next cozy snowstorm meal, from chicken noodle, tomato, french onion, and more. Especially for the flu season as more people are starting to get sick, soup is a comforting classic that is great to warm up to after a cold day out in the snow. 

• Grilled Cheese

As a perfect side to dip in your favorite soup, grilled cheese is another classic that will get you through the snowy winter weather. If you’re sick of the same old grilled cheese, you can try something new by adding in any meat or toppings of your choice to spice it up. With the combination of melty cheese and crispy bread, if done right, this basic food can be elevated to a delicious and comforting meal.