Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

A Stressful Week of Testing

How Students at HHS Prepared
Annmarie Fennelly

As Mid-year exams come in full swing, students across the country are gearing up for the academic challenge that lies ahead. Exams for Hingham High took place on January 19th and 22nd and consist of ninety minute tests in all core subjects. These assessments serve as a checkpoint in students’ understanding of their classes so far this year, but many people find it difficult to study for them as the exams contain a large amount of information spanning over many months of work. But not to fear, because there are plenty of helpful study tips that will allow you to thrive this year on your exams this year and in the future. 

A key component for studying for exams is strategic planning. Create a study schedule that allows ample time for each subject. Next, you can break down your syllabus into smaller sections so you won’t get overwhelmed. Make sure to prioritize time management and be mindful of procrastination so you can be your most productive self. 

Isabel McCabe, a senior, states that her most useful study tip this year is to “Put on my headphones and go to a quiet area so I can focus. This really helps me be productive when it is hard to concentrate.” 

Another study tip for mid-years is to embrace a variety of resources. Most teachers provide extra resources that include textbooks, videos, or online resources that can really help if you are feeling confused on a specific topic. 

Julia Whitney (sophomore), says that she uses videos to help her study. “Yeah I really like watching videos, especially for science and english, cause I feel like hearing someone teach it to me is really helpful”. 

Lastly, and most importantly, it is essential to give yourself breaks and to make healthy lifestyle choices. You should try to get sufficient sleep, eat balanced meals, and stay hydrated. If you are feeling stressed, anxious, or even just unfocused, physical activity is a good stress-reliever that many students use during exam weeks. Also, be mindful that these study tips are all just recommendations, since each student has their own unique approach to studying. I suggest finding what works best for you so you can do your best. Good luck!