Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Semester Two: Expectations and Advice

Hingham High School

As we proceed into term three and the second semester, which started this Wednesday, it is important for students to grasp teachers’ expectations for them. Mrs. Jope, English teacher at HHS, explains that her main expectations are that her students have established routines and strategies to manage time and responsibilities.

She continues by stating, “With these routines and habits set in place, students can open up space in their minds for more curiosity and critical thinking about what and why they are learning. This is a wonderful point in the year to reflect and set goals that include connecting with your classes, and shifting your mind away from numerical grades and toward curiosity and invention”. So how do these expectations differ from the expectations established in the first semester? Mrs. Jope illustrates that “Students are expected to have more independence, emotional maturity, and a willingness to engage in their studies” than the first semester.

All of these new expectations for students can create a hostile environment for many kids. However, there are ways to get on top of things and minimize stress. Juniors Morgan O’Connor and class treasurer Sienna Sullivan demonstrate they wish to, “meet with teachers more, and start studying for things earlier than usual” in the second semester. Both of these additions require time management skills which, Mrs. Jope agrees, is the most important step in finding success in the ending stages of the year. Mrs Jope specifically advises students to, “Find ways to maintain a healthy balance of socializing and keeping up with your academic studies. Invite some new pals from your classes to join a study session at the library! Reframe negative self-talk about grades and focus on what you have learned and accomplished. The goal is to become a lifelong learner, so remind yourself that you may not have mastered a skill yet, but there is no limit to what and when you can learn. Also, put down your phones, leave your devices charging in a separate room, and read every night – even just a few minutes every day! This habit may just become a favorite part of your day!”

These adjustments can be helpful for all students, but especially my fellow juniors who are currently battling school, college visits, SAT prep, sports, and many other responsibilities as they prepare for college admissions. So I hope this was helpful to anyone worried about the upcoming terms. I wish you all the best of luck.

View Comments (1)