Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Seniors throwing their caps in the air after their graduation! Credits: Joshua Ross
Class of 2024 Graduation!
Katie Whitlock, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024

Class of 2024 Students Spend Their Last Day at Hingham High School

Joshua Ross
A group of senior boys sit on steps eating lunch during HHS’ annual field day.

The last day of school is a momentous occasion that every student looks forward to at some point in their academic career. For the Class of 2024, this day was on Tuesday, May 21st where seniors across the school spent their final six hours of school.

The day was very emotional for many graduating seniors, with many friends conversing about prior memories, meeting with their favorite teachers one last time, or simply walking around and taking their last day of high school in. Some teachers like Mr. Burke hosted final festivities for his seniors, breaking out a guitar and singing with a classroom packed full of soon-to-be Hingham graduates.

Yet for other seniors the idea of graduation felt odd, with senior Finn Darlington remarking, “my last day felt pretty mundane. It felt surreal but more normal than I would have expected.”

Ironically, the day felt just as sad for the underclassmen as it did for the seniors themselves. Many freshmen, sophomores, and juniors had spent years with their upperclassmen counterparts who are now suddenly, and abruptly leaving them to start a new chapter in their lives.

During lunch, the circle shaped round tables of seniors talked especially loudly that day, with diverse groups of senior friends enjoying what was their last lunch period of their academic careers. Yet, despite the sad attitude of some students, the general atmosphere of the day was accomplished. Seniors strolled proudly around school sporting their college’s apparel on their clothes, a symbol of their four years of studying, diligence, and hard work.

As groups of seniors stood in hallways together, as they walked in and out of their last classes, or when they sat idly in their final blocks, they all did so feeling happy for how far they had come. For many seniors, their final day was a time of profound reflection of their decisions throughout their high school career.

With their years of academic rigor finally paid off, many seniors reflected fondly on their prior years as students. Senior Torbjørn Tennebø thought about his earlier years admiringly, explaining, “Looking back at it, my best advice is to take the harder classes, especially AP’s. It is more work, but it is definitely manageable and worth it.”

Hingham will undoubtedly miss its class of 2024 but nonetheless congratulates them on their accomplishments as they continue beyond high school.