Hour of Code

Rachel Jensen, Junior Editor

The Hour of Code is a basic introduction to computer science and coding that quite literally only takes an hour.  This past week, seven hundred and fifty students from Hingham High School participated in the Hour of Code.   The activity was open to students of all grade levels, and the majority of these students participated during their regularly scheduled math classes.  Students also had the option to attend another session after school on Thursday.  All of the students who participated in this activity were entered into a raffle to win an Ipad Mini.

Hingham High School was not the only educational institution that offered the program.  In fact, the Hour of Code is a movement in over one hundred eighty different countries from all around the world.  The tutorials are even available in over forty different languages.  In 2014, sixty million students from across the globe got involved and even more students are expected this year.

The Hour of Code has gained popularity in recent years due to society’s focus on technology.  Additionally, although computers and other devices are becoming more prominent across the globe, fewer schools are offering courses in computer science than ten years ago.  The goal of the program is, therefore, to expose students to computer science and coding and to encourage these students to pursue their interest outside of school.

According to HHS math teacher, Ms. Coughlin, “the purpose is to give students exposure no matter the level of experience”.  Currently, at HHS, there is no course offered that focuses on coding or computer science.  Consequently, without the Hour of Code, many students would never encounter the subject matter.  However, there are ways to get involved at the High School if students are interested.  The Hingham Tech Squad and the Hingham Robotics Team, while not necessarily focusing on code, are open to all students and offer opportunities to become involved with technology.