To be, or not to be mine…

Freshmen+Will+Sutton+and+David+Mills+joke+about+their+bromance+in+between+classes+before+Valentines+Day.+

Liv Casey

Freshmen Will Sutton and David Mills joke about their bromance in between classes before Valentine’s Day.

Liv Casey, Contributing Writer

Valentine’s Day might be a minor holiday but it has a big impact on many of those in love. Most would agree that this sappy holiday was created by Hallmark to sell cards and candy. However, for some people at Hingham High that’s not the case.

If you’re single, there’s always that familiar feeling of dread that comes with this holiday. The few people that are fortunate enough to be in relationships look forward to this day of love, but does your mood on this day purely depend on your relationship status? Or, does Valentine’s Day symbolize something more? I interviewed some of my fellow classmates to ask them their opinion of this special day.

Freshmen class president, Julia Cerio believes, “It’s important to encourage an environment that is open to everyone on Valentine’s Day.” Our school has made great strides as a whole in accepting all sexual orientations, and Julia thinks Valentine’s Day would be a great time to demonstrate this. Will Sutton, another freshmen, agrees with Julia, but also pointed out that although Valentine’s Day has been dominated by greeting cards, chocolates, and roses it’s also a day for friendships. Will feels that “Valentine’s Day should not be exclusively about romantic relationships” adding, “it’s also about love for family and friends.”

Despite what social media broadcasts, my fellow classmates seem to agree that Valentine’s Day should not be about finding someone to love, but rather, celebrating the people who already love you.