Last Day at HHS, for Seniors, that is…

From left to right Meghan McConville, Matt Greene, Ryan Parker, Billy Harrington, Collin Parker, Ivan Frantz,  and Sarah Endyke all show of their college shirts on their long-awaited last day.

Harborlight Staff Photographer Brendan Chase

From left to right Meghan McConville, Matt Greene, Ryan Parker, Billy Harrington, Collin Parker, Ivan Frantz, and Sarah Endyke all show of their college shirts on their long-awaited last day.

Shira Berkin, Contributing Writer

As the 2016 school year winds down, every high schooler recognizes a familiar voice inside, reminding her or him of each passing year that brings him or her closer to graduation and seniority. On Tuesday, May 24, the seniors had their last day at Hingham High School. Whether the seniors’ next step is college, a gap year, or the workforce, leaving high school is a daunting and exciting change for each student.

Hingham High School’s curriculum is designed with rigorous, challenging courses meant to prepare students for college. While seniors face a near future of change, most of the school’s underclassmen and juniors feel a heavy loss.

Coming into freshman year, students form bonds with upperclassmen and are often mentored by the older students. When asked how she feels about the seniors leaving, freshman Lauren Colby responded, “It’s weird because the school feels so empty now. The seniors were so nice; it’s like saying goodbye to a bunch of friends, which is really sad. I met most of them through track, so we bonded over running a lot too.”

Many seniors, not necessarily captains of sports teams or presidents of clubs, bonded with younger students through communal activities. Lauren’s bond with the seniors comes from track and mentorship. A trend in this year’s seniors was their passionate leadership, meaning the impact was large and did not just stem from authoritative positions alone. Lauren is not alone in the friendship and companionship she found in the senior class… in fact, the feelings are very mutual.

Samantha Garland, the 2016 Valedictorian, feels the theme of mixed emotions regarding college and her future. She explained, “These last few weeks have been bittersweet. I’m ready to move on to college, but I’ll miss the students and teachers at HHS.”

The necessary step into the “adult world” proves difficult every year, but this year’s seniors have come so far and will continue to achieve. The conflicted mindset of wanting seniors to enjoy their lives while missing their presence appears selfish, but in reality it comes from a loving place.

With the school’s recent population decrease, the rest of the students often (understandably) complain that they are still in school while the seniors post pictures of prom, the beach, and stress­free living on social media.

College and new options will absolutely provide a platform for success for each student, and the students at HHS look forward to seeing them soon, in addition to seeing what the future holds for them.

Good luck, seniors! We’ll miss you.