The 74th Annual Golden Globe Awards

The makers of Zootopia accept the award for best animated film.

Golden Globes

The makers of “Zootopia” accept the award for best animated film.

Lizzie Quinlivan, Contributing Writer

From television to film, the Golden Globes celebrates the best of the year in Hollywood. Hosted by Jimmy Fallon this past Sunday, the show kicked off with a parody of the opening scene in the movie La La Land. This opening number about the Golden Globes featured actors and actresses from all of the popular shows and films this year.

Freshman Claudia Larson remarked that “The fact that actors from all the best TV shows and movies this year were all together on stage was really entertaining.” 

Once the show had officially started, Golden Globes were awarded to the best of the best in each category of film and television. Some of the most highly anticipated awards were “Best Motion Picture, Drama,” which was awarded to “Moonlight,” “Best Picture, Comedy or Musical,” which was awarded to La La Land, and “Animated Feature Film,” which was awarded to Zootopia.

Freshman Morgan Willison said “I definitely thought Moana should have won best animated film.” 

A few of the Golden Globes that went to the best actors and actresses were “Best Actress in a Motion Picture,” which was given to Emma Stone for her performance in La La Land, “Best Actor in a Motion Picture,” which was given to Ryan Gosling for his performance in La La Land, and “Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama,” which was given to Casey Affleck for his performance in Manchester by the Sea.

When asked about the results, freshman Alex Lannon said “I think the best actor and actress awards were pretty spot-on.” 

One of the most notable performances of the night was given by the talented actress, Meryl Streep. Her acceptance speech for the “Cecil B DeMille Award” was an acknowledgement about the President-elect, Donald Trump. She reminded the audience and her viewers that “he made fun of of a disabled reporter…and he is going to be in the most respected seat in our country.” This moving speech took the viewers by surprise and was possibly the most talked-about moment of the night.

On the less serious side of the night, the funniest and most creative presentation of an award was given by Kristen Wiig and Steve Carell. They presented the award for “Best Animated Film,” and they shared their personal memories of seeing their first animated films, both of which were very comically tragic experiences. According to freshman Emily Bryant, this was “by far the funniest moment of the Golden Globes.” The audience seemed to agree with this statement, because the response was full of laughter.

Also included in the awards show was a tribute to the late Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher. Carrie Fisher, most famous for portraying Princess Leia in Star Wars, died on December 27th, and her mother, Debbie Reynolds, most famous for her role of Kathy Seldon in Singin’ in the Rain, died on the 28th because, according to Fisher family sources, she “wanted to be with Carrie.”

The new movie-musical La La Land took home seven Golden Globes for “Best Actor,” Best Actress,” “Best Motion Picture, Musical,” “Best Original Song,” “Best Director,” “Best Screenplay,” and “Best Original Score,” setting a Golden Globe record of seven wins for one movie.

Claudia Larson shared her final thoughts on the night saying,  “I think the Golden Globes is a preview of what’s going to do well at the Oscars and the Emmy’s.” Although this may be true, many different shows and movies took home awards at the Golden Globes. It seems that none of the awards were very shocking to the viewers and were well deserved.