“Hidden Figures” Shows Young Girls That They Can Do Anything

Tatiana Garvin, Contributing Writer

Based on the true story of Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson, the movie, Hidden Figures, is about the inspiring journey of three African American women attempting to prove themselves in a sexist and racist society. In Virginia in the 1960s, these three women, along with many others like them, worked behind the scenes to put a rocket into space, an almost impossible dream at the time. Using their adept intelligence in mathematics, computers, and engineering, the women showed that they were just as good as any man in the NASA program. 

Hidden Figures used sassy female leads who did well to display how the women fought for their positions in the NASA group. Personally, I found the movie to be a brilliant portrayal of the people at the time. The characters were amazingly portrayed and hilarious.  The movie showed young girls that they can do anything if they put their minds to it and work hard.  

Alumnus of Hingham High School Tammy Greeley-Garvin states, “It is an entertaining, humorous, historical film, that enlightens us upon women’s rights, segregation, and especially the rights of African American women in the 1960s. Also, the movie gives the audience some background in regard to the space race against the Russians.”

I personally agree, I found the movie very interesting and informing. It explained the space race between the Americans and the Russians, and also honestly demonstrated how people were treated at the time. “Hidden Figures” is an incredible story and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in history or in space technology, such as rockets.  Overall, it’s a family friendly movie with an uplifting spirit.