HHS Enjoys Three Snow Days

A+large+snowstorm+left+Hingham+High+covered+with+snow%2C+enveloping+fields+with+white.+

Ruthie Kerber

A large snowstorm left Hingham High covered with snow, enveloping fields with white.

Ruthie Kerber, Contributing Writer

For the majority of this winter, Hingham hasn’t had much snow. There was one storm in January, but it hit on a weekend and the resulting snow melted very rapidly. With the consistent warmer temperatures, students were sure that we would be lucky to even get one snow day.  Therefore, everyone was excited last Wednesday to hear that  snow would finally hit Hingham, ensuring that school would be cancelled the following day.

After enjoying a day off on Thursday, students and teachers prepared to return on Friday, but the weather had other plans, snowing enough to cancel school both Friday and Monday. When asked about her weekend, freshman Libby Ranocha laughed and said that she “could have just had snow days until the end of the year.”

Most teachers probably wouldn’t agree with that statement, as the missed school days left them scrambling to teach six days worth of material in half of the time. Students coming back from an already short week, with as little as one day of school for those who skipped both Monday (Senior Skip Day) and Tuesday (Patriot’s Parade), were met with a rude awakening and large amounts of schoolwork.

Snow days are definitely fun while we’re in the middle of one, but once it’s over, all that’s left is another day to make up at the end of the year. Freshman Emy Larsen noted that “snow days are pretty good in the moment, but when you’re stuck with a few extra days in summer, that’s not fun.”

In return, in defense of snow days, freshman Maire O’Driscoll countered that “even if you have to sacrifice a few days at the end of the year, I’m fine. I love getting the day off. “

As of now, Hingham Public Schools have had to move back the last day of school by three days. Let’s keep our hopes down to a late start for the rest of the year, so we won’t have stay any longer in June!