What To Do At HHS If You Aren’t Into Sports

Ruthie Kerber

Freshman Gwen Moyer, a member of the art club, helps paint on a mural that the club created last month.

Ruthie Kerber, Contributing Writer

At Hingham High School, everyone buzzes about the next sports game or the upcoming production for the Drama Club. If people aren’t talking about their impending meet or last night’s game, then chances are they’re chatting about which night to see the school play. In a school dominated by sports and drama, what do you do if you aren’t into either of those? Clubs offer a variety of options for non-athletic activities at Hingham High. With the sheer number of clubs, you’ll definitely be able to find one perfect for you.

Those who want to exercise their brain rather than their body should consider a club like Debate Team. Debate provides students the supportive team structure and competition without being physically based. The team, led by Mr. Nugent, competes throughout the fall and winter. Students team up in pairs to argue either the affirmative or negative side of the year’s issue. This year, they argued about the world’s economic superpowers. Freshman Peyton Semjen recounted her experiences on the team, saying,“In debate, I learned how to express myself and become more outgoing and a better speaker. It really helped me with my confidence and even my speaking in my normal life. I would definitely recommend it!”.  Fellow teammate Elizabeth Ford added,  “ plus,we get pizza after every meet”. Debate’s season is over now, but they always want new members at the start of each school year.

If you’re looking to get creative, then the Art Club will be perfect for you. This club is always looking for new members and meets a couple times each month. The members organize cultural field trips. Last year, they spent a day at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, and plan to do a similar trip this year. Most recently, they painted a temporary window mural at the Hingham Public Library. Members met multiple times beforehand to create and finalize design plans for the mural, then met at the library to bring their vision to life. “It was a really great experience! Everyone contributed evenly, and I felt really involved in the process,” says member Gwen Moyer.

Global Citizenship Program is a great club if you want to get involved in your school and local community. Their main goal is to globally enrich members, whether it be through discussions on current issues or learning how to make crepes. Recently, they helped Mr. Swanson and the baseball team with organizing the Tennoji Exchange. The club caters to any level of commitment, being open to everyone. However, if you want to be even more involved, you can apply to become a part of the certificate program, which requires more activity within the club. Any student can join the club by talking to Mrs. Roth in Room 284.