An Autumn Evening of Music: The Fall Concert

Wind Ensemble prepares to play. (Photo: Hingham Music Parents Association)

Leanne Moczynski, Contributing Writer

On Tuesday, October 18th, staff, students, and community members of Hingham gathered in the high school auditorium to attend the annual joint performance of Hingham High School’s choruses, orchestras, and bands: the Fall Concert. This concert is a unique opportunity to listen to all of the music ensembles at the Hingham High and for student musicians to showcase the product of their hard work in front of their peers.

Chorus director Mr. Young kicked off the night with the energetic “Cantate Domino”  by Giuseppe Pitoni, followed with the melodious “Annie Laurie” arranged by Alice Parker and Robert Shaw, both performed by the Concert Chorale. The Chamber Singers were next, and beautifully sang “The Water is Wide” arranged by Luigi Zaninelli. Next, Choral Spectrum amazed the audience with the emotional “Il Bianco e Dolce Cigno” by Jacques Arcadelt. The Mixed Chorus concluded with “Mon Coeur Se Recommande A Vous,” attributed to Robert Schumann.

After a brief set change, Ms. Sassano led the Freshmen Orchestra in the spirited “Tango Espressivo” by Matt Turner. The HHS Orchestra then amazed the audience with “Oblivion” by Astor Piazzolla, featuring Kelly Osterberg in a breathtaking oboe solo. The orchestra finished with another Astor Piazzolla piece, “Libertango.” Sophomore Bass Clarinet player Harriet Wiley described its dance-inspiring beat, commenting that “At some points, I almost wanted to get up and dance.”

In the last set of performances, Mr. Cincotta’s Concert Band started with John Philip Sousa’s lively piece “The Washington Post March,” and followed with “Mazama” by Jay Chattaway. Afterward, the Wind Ensemble put on a passionate rendition of “Nimrod from Enigma Variations” by Edward Elger, and ended the night with Satoshi Yagisawa’s “Hunting Scenes.”

In conclusion, it was a magnificent night of highly impressive and rewarding musical performances. Romee Premasiri, a sophomore violinist in the HHS Orchestra, explained, “I felt so proud to play on stage with my orchestra because we’ve worked so hard and hearing the applause after we played made me feel like our hard work payed off.”

Olivia Barbuto, a soprano in the Mixed Chorus and Choral Spectrum, expressed her gratitude for Hingham High School’s amazing music program as she mused, “I absolutely love watching what my classmates had been working on for the past two months and being able to share what I’ve done as well.”

Wonderful job to all of the musicians who performed, and good luck for the next (highly anticipated) concert!