A Night of Appreciation

Sabrina Hatch

Some of the honorees from the Century Club Dinner this past Thursday. From the left, Claire Schnorr, Emma Beyer, Ellie Zieper, Rachel Warhaftig, Bonnie Passios, Cameron Frank, Delaney Clifford, and Katherine Hernberg.

Sabrina Hatch, Contributing Writer

In an event organized by the PTO and the Rotary Club,  25 students with the highest unweighted GPAs from each grade were invited to a banquet at the South Shore Country Club called the Century Club. The Rotary Club graciously paid for the honorees’ meals, and these students were awarded with symbols of recognition for their outstanding grades.

The night started off with a chatter whirling throughout the restaurant as parents and children eagerly talked about the upcoming events of the night and recalled memories of long hours of studying and doing homework. This amicable discussion was superseded by the Pledge of Allegiance which was followed by words of grace.

Signifying the beginning of the service, Hingham Rotary Club president Dewitt DeLawter and Hingham High’s own vice principal Jennifer Henrikson made a brief introduction to explain the history of the banquet its importance.

After an applause for the introduction, the dinner that everyone was anticipating finally arrived. Again, the same eager and excited chatter boomed throughout the entire building as kids and parents became even more excited about the approaching awards.

Freshman Anna Wagner described her feelings about the event, saying, “I couldn’t believe I was chosen. It feels really nice to be appreciated for all my hard work. There’s always something for sports and stuff, but I never really see any events that appreciate grades and work at school.”

Following dinner, two guest speakers made a moving presentation that captivated every person in the room. Social studies teacher Ms. O’Connor and Hingham High senior Dylan Davis described their experience participating in a program through the Normandy: Sacrifice for Freedom Albert H. Small Student and Teacher Institute.

Through this program, the two were able to research the life of a U.S. soldier who died in Normandy during World War II named Sergeant Sherrard Billings II, and they shed light on his story. Their hard work and intensive research were recognized by all as their presentation ended with a standing ovation.

After much excitement, the moment finally came when students were called down by class to receive certificates for their outstanding academic performance. As the students waited in line in alphabetical order to get their rewards, nerves were a little high-strung.

Freshman Pria Parker sheepishly admitted, “I’m not gonna lie, I’m a little nervous—excited, but nervous nonetheless.”

Then, as the last recipient, Stephanie Williams, was given her certificate, the night came to a close. Family, friends, and teachers said their goodbyes. Not only did this event appreciate the dedication and determination of some of the most hardworking students in the school, but it brought everyone closer together as a school and as a community.