Wifi Malfunction Forces All Students to Learn Remotely

Twenty20

A WiFi malfunction during the week of Thanksgiving forced all students to participate in remote learning.

Elena Bryden, Contributing Writer

Since the start of the pandemic, constant adaptations to daily life have been necessary. The beginning of the hybrid learning model for this school year was no different, making many adjustments to accommodate for unique challenges. The hybrid learning model divides students into two cohorts, A and B, by the last name, and allows each group of students to attend school in person for two days of the week. However, on Sunday, November 22, Superintendent Dr. Paul Austin sent an email informing students that Cohort A would not be able to attend school in person due to a malfunction in the district’s wifi. As a result, the entire district participated in remote learning for the next two days.
Although the news left many students feeling disappointed and frustrated, they were understanding of the situation. Sophomore Nick Germain expressed his thoughts, saying, “The wifi shutdown was pretty inconvenient. I learn better in person, like a lot of other kids, so it was a bit annoying, but I was still able to participate in class and do my work well.”
Sophomore Eric Gu expressed a similar sentiment, noting that “I’m used to seeing my teachers in zoom anyways, so the classes we spent online weren’t anything out of the ordinary, however, I would’ve preferred to ask a few in-person questions.”
The unexpected closure of the district for in-person learning also challenges for students with other family members working at home. Sophomore Josie Pappone explained, “My mom had to work from home and it was probably more challenging for her because she’s a kindergarten teacher and she has to be loud and enthusiastic for her students. It also made the house louder for me and my sisters who are doing remote learning.”
Despite abnormal circumstances, students were able to adapt to learning online without much difficulty.