2020, A New Era of Gaming and Connecting

Remi Urbano

Uptime in Hanover keeps gamers current on all gaming trends both in person and virtually.

Remi Urbano, Contributing Writer

In all elements of society, 2020 has drastically changed the way that we live. As many leading industries faced rapid decline due to the rise of Covid-19, the industry of online gaming managed to excel under these unprecedented circumstances. The prohibition of face-to-face interaction has given rise to a new era of online socialization and sparked a massive uptick in active users for online games. As buzz surrounding new tech circulated, and the upward trend in online gaming continued, gaming consoles, computers, and mobile devices have become a primary lifeline for keeping in touch during the pandemic.

While more joined the party in 2020, online gaming has played a substantial role in providing community and social engagement for years. No one knows this better than Sean Quinn, co founder of Uptime Esports, who says, “It’s been huge. It’s that way people talk and communicate.”

Uptime is an esports facility in Hanover, MA which contains 51 high-end gaming PCs and consoles, as well as a top-notch broadcasting arena used for highly competitive tournaments and other social events. They have been using gaming as a way to build a community since their inception in 2018. This community is not restricted by their geographic location, and has allowed for teams to form from all around the country. From novice to professional levels, Uptime provides a safe place for gamers of all ages and skill levels to foster their interests and grow their skills with a variety of popular games including Valorant, Fortnite, Super Smash Bros, and for the younger audience, games such as Roblox and Minecraft.

With a captive audience of new and old gamers confined to their homes, the demand for next generation tech has reached epic proportions. The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X released their next generation consoles in November to much fanfare. While Cyber Monday did not see the usual stampede of shoppers fighting over the latest gadget, the vibe could be felt virtually, as desperate consumers scrambled in an effort to get their hands on one of the elusive devices. This Easter egg hunt has resulted in an incomprehensible amount of press for both Sony and Microsoft (but mostly Sony).

People from all over the world are giving praise to these consoles, including students from Hingham High. Chris Rulli, a sophomore at HHS, said, “Sony just found a lot of ways to innovate this year. I can’t wait to get my hands on one.”

Despite the excitement, some individuals, such as Sean Quinn, do not share the same positive sentiment towards next gen. “I don’t think it’s warranted… I think a PlayStation is just a glorified PC, so why not just get a PC?”

When asked about the future of online entertainment, Quinn stated that he believes it lies in VR (Virtual Reality). “I’ve seen it, I’ve done it, I’ve played it, and I think it’s definitely the way to go,” he says. Quinn also cites the new Oculus Quest headset as a game-changer due to its technical capabilities and exceedingly low price point. Only time will tell where this expansive new medium of online social interaction will go, but whatever route it takes, it has become undeniable that friendships, relationships, and communities will continue to grow and prosper as a result of its being in exisistence.

To learn more about Uptime, or to contact them about upcoming events, check out their website here: https://www.uptimeesports.gg/

To try your luck at snagging a PS5 or an Xbox check stock at these links, but don’t hold your breath!

PS5: https://www.stockinformer.com/checker-ps5-console-playstation-5

Xbox: https://www.stockinformer.com/checker-xbox-series-x-console\