Concussions- Knocking the Sense into People Every Day

Sarah Calnan, Contributing Writer

Most people know that a concussion is an injury to the brain, caused by an event that shakes the brain in the skull. A less know fact is that a person does not have to lose consciousness in order to have received a concussion. After the injury occurs, symptoms begin to show. These symptoms fall into four main categories: cognitive, physical, emotional, and related to sleep.

A person may find themselves not being able to concentrate, or remember specific details as easily. They may feel as if they are in a fog, and cannot think clearly. This is one of the main reasons that people who have received a concussion cannot attend school right away. The brain needs time to repair itself before the stimulation and knowledge overload that happens during the school day can be taken in and processed. The physical symptoms and side effects of a concussion may vary. The most common and immediate are feeling dizzy and having a non- receding headache. Other symptoms that may occur are nausea, sensitivity to light, problems balancing and a lack of energy. Emotionally, a person may be upset or angered more easily. Emotions are generally heightened due to the sensitive state of the brain. A change in sleep patterns, such as not being able to sleep as much as usual or sleeping more than usual, can also be a sign of a concussion.

The healing process of a concussion can be frustrating, and is described in four different “zones”. These stages are commonly referred to as red, orange, yellow and green. The red zone is where a person is placed immediately after receiving the concussion. The concussed individual cannot attend school, watch television, be on a computer, or look at any screens such as a cellphone or ipad. No sports or physical activity can be done, and rest and sleep is encouraged. The orange stage begins the recovery process, with reduced school and work days, a continued limit on screen time, and continued reduction on physical activity. For students in the orange stage, homework can be done in small periods of time and only if it does not cause symptoms to reappear. The yellow stage allows the individual to attend school or work full time, and complete homework and tests at a paced rate. There is still no physical activity such as sports in the yellow stage. The green stage is the all-clear sign. Individuals may return to sports and their normal daily activities. There is no way to rush the recovery of a concussion, and if proper healing does not take place there may be lasting side effect. These side effects may be as serious as trouble with speech or coordination, or simply occasional trouble concentrating. The only way to “cure” a concussion is to let your brain heal.

Concussions are nothing to take lightly. I recently received my first concussion and was amazed at how different and limited it made my brain feel, which was my inspiration for this article. When I was diagnosed, I knew nothing about concussions. Other than what I was told at the doctor’s office, I had no idea how serious the side effects were, and I was unaware that if proper recovery did not take place, the brain may never return to the full level of function it had before the injury. It is important for everyone to have background knowledge about concussions, and to know how serious they can be.