HHS Girls Win State Championship

Paige King, Contributing Writer

Have you ever felt completely on top? Like a champion, untouchable and undefeated. For HHS girls’ varsity soccer team, they can say they have felt it all. From humid summer practices, to 20 degree games under the lights, the girls’ varsity has rightfully earned their D2 Championship title.

On Tuesday November 18th, Hingham defeated Scituate at Braintree high with a final score of 5-1. Sophomore, Eve Hewins achieved and outstanding three goals, followed by senior and captain, Julia Patterson, and freshman, Caroline Harkins. Towards the end of the game, junior and team goal keeper, Amy Kirk, dislocated her knee from jumping up and down to keep those muscles warm, triggering something to pop. Fortunately, Amy was not willing to give up as she planned to participate in the final championship game at Marshfield High School against Arlington.

Thursday November 20th, the girls have done it again! During the first half of this nail biting game, Arlington carried the lead, 1-0. Hingham’s fan section got a little antsy as the girls made several attempts at scoring a goal, but the ball would just not follow
through. Finally, with ten minutes left on the clock, a corner kick by Hingham, down on Arlington’s end was hit from sophomore defense player, Emma Burleigh. As the ball came close to the net, sophomore, Emily Rosso was quick on her feet to score Hingham’s first goal of the game, tying the first half, neck to neck with a score of 1-1.

The teams battled back and forth at the start of the second half, but Hingham had the advantage after sophomore, Eve Hewins dribbled down the turf and slipped the ball right into Arlington’s goal. Celebrating their second goal, Arlington knew it was time to fight back even harder. As the clocked ticked away, the two teams continued to wrestle for the ball. Just a few moments later, Arlington tied the game, 2-2. The back line of Hingham seniors, Leah Hickey, Kelly Blair, and Grace Baggot, along with junior, Katie Sullivan and sophomore, Emma Burleigh, played their hardest, forcing out any opposing offense aiming for their goal.

With one minute left on the clock, Hewins scored the final victory goal! Hingham girls’ varsity has maintained an undefeated season, and for the first time ever in Hingham’s history, claimed their title as D2 State Champions.

Hingham’s fan section went wild, running out onto the field to congratulate the girl’s big win! Ending their season with such an amazing victory, the team will think back to those sweaty summer scrimmages and chilly morning practices, knowing that in the end it was all worth it. Way to go girls!