New Teacher Profile: Ms. Pound

New Teacher Profile: Ms Pound

New Teacher Profile: Ms Pound

Rachel Jensen and Rachel Jensen

There are plenty of new faces in the halls of Hingham High School this year. Of course, many belong to the freshman class, the Class of 2019. Other new faces belong to faculty members who are also in their first year at the high school. One such faculty member is the delightful new English teacher, Ms. Pound.

A recent recipient of a master’s degree from Brown University, Ms. Pound initially did not want to be a teacher while growing up on a horse boarding farm in Delaware. Her mother was a teacher and, as a result, Ms. Pound rejected this profession as a young adult. Yet, all of that changed when Ms. Pound was an undergraduate at the University of Richmond in Richmond, Virginia. She became a writing TA and “absolutely fell in love with it”.

After she graduated, Ms. Pound taught Kindergarten for two years. Only then did she attend Brown University for her master’s degree. While working on her master’s degree, Ms. Pound also taught at a Classical High School in Providence, Rhode Island. She taught Senior English for a semester.

As an enthusiast of English literature, Ms. Pound struggled to identify her favorite novel. However, she eventually decided on East of Eden by John Steinbeck. She also enjoys Moby Dick by Herman Melville and anything by the author Toni Morrison. Despite the difficulty of selecting a favorite novel, Ms. Pound did not struggle at all in naming her favorite film, Forrest Gump.

As a recipient of a master’s degree from the elite Brown University, Ms. Pound knows a thing or two about writing essays and the pressure that comes along with it. However, she feels that “writing doesn’t have to be stressful”. In fact, Ms. Pound advises students not to worry, for as long as they “have original ideas and a passion for what they are saying, all the rest will fall into place”.

With all of her excellent advice and passion for English literature, Ms. Pound will no doubt do great things at Hingham High School. Both Ms. Pound and her fortunate Hingham students have an exciting academic year ahead of them!