A Reflection on Freshman Year

Shira Berkin, Contributing Writer

Last year, my freshman year, I experienced new expectations and struggles that weighed heavily on me. As a sophomore, I still feel this weight, but I am, undoubtedly, more used to the pressure applied by our society, allowing me to develop as a person. I know new things and have met amazing people, but I still remember the hardships I experienced transitioning into this very competitive environment, that is so heavily focused on college and the future. Often, I found myself feeling worried about assignments, as if my life depended on each one. Throughout the year my perspective on most things changed, as did I. However, the beginning of my freshman year was complicated and like no other experience I had known. I wasn’t scared, but I knew that the commitment would be overwhelming. My friends and I spoke of our struggles and challenges throughout the year. It was very comforting to know that there were people in my classes who were going through the same things as I. My friend Margeaux and I would text each other on those late nights when we were up until 2AM, studying for a big test that would be occurring later that day (smart decisions, always).

Obviously, my experiences aren’t universal.
I wondered if current freshman students felt the same way I had. Were they struggling or thriving? Could they understand what I had gone through? I chose to ask this year’s freshman a few questions pertaining to how they’re feeling at this point of the school year. The first question I asked was if they were nervous. Freshman, Delia Delorie, answered in a way that surprised me, but then I remembered how I felt as a freshman, and realized our experiences were strangely similar. She said, “Yeah, I’m nervous about making sure my GPA starts off well. I need a good GPA to get into a good college.” College isn’t for four years, but as freshman we still worry. In middle school, students are told to go for the highest possible GPA freshman year, in order to set themselves up for success later on. It wasn’t until I actually started freshman year that I realized this is much, much easier said than done. I found myself putting insane amounts of pressure on myself because I had developed a mindset that prioritized my grades over my own happiness.

I also asked Lindsey Vogelmann if she felt overwhelmed with work, this early in the school year. She replied, “I’ve felt really overwhelmed. I’ve never had to write essays with such short notice or anything.” The transition from middle school to high school is difficult, and the pressure has already set in. For teens like Lindsey, who care about school work, freshman year is wrought with challenges and choices of priorities. Although the motto is supposed to be “try your best”, that’s practically impossible to do for every assignment in high school. Especially for freshman, who are still in the complex phase of figuring out what their best method of working is and how to balance this work. Even as a sophomore, I still deal with this stress. The only way I’ve found that helps ease these challenges, is to let myself go and to simply reassure myself that I can do whatever I need to do. Again, easier said than done. How to deal with stress and other challenges, is a skill gained over time that will continue to grow throughout life.

Hingham High School may have a fast¬paced learning environment, but the people who work and attend school here are very accepting, as a whole. When I asked Patrick Whamond if he felt that Hingham High has a fun and accepting environment, he responded, “All the teachers seem really nice and some of the upperclassmen have been helpful and friendly.” Even though most freshman feel a bit overwhelmed, they have the staff and students of Hingham High School by their side. The teachers offer extra help, and many of the older students are willing to give advice, regarding how to navigate the school and how to deal with the new environment. Older students will know freshman through sports, clubs, or other outside activities. Oftentimes this age difference doesn’t hinder friendship
Lastly, I asked Lauren Colby if what she deems important has changed since she entered high school. She replied, “Definitely. I feel like sleep is way more important than it used to be”. With all the homework us students at Hingham High School have, we find ourselves procrastinating as the night goes on, making it easy for us to forget about our need for sleep until it’s too late. Time management skills are a necessity, and most freshman don’t have them down yet. Even now, I still doubt my time management skills. It’s very easy for students to lose sleep, and it’s rare that a high schooler gets enough sleep. Thankfully, by the middle of the year, many freshman will develop a general routine, making it much easier to get work done.

No matter how difficult I found freshman year, it was by far the most transformational year of my life. I was placed under new pressures, I learned about interesting topics, and I discovered new passions. In the moment, everything seems huge, but looking back on what I worried and stressed about, it all seems so irrelevant. Today, I understand that all I really need to be successful, is to trust in myself. This was something that freshman year taught me.

No matter what age or grade, there’s always room to grow. Let experiences guide you, and find the good in every bad situation. Most of all, laugh at your own mistakes and keep an open mind. You will do so much good for yourself.