HHS Student Council Holds Annual Lip Sync

The Spicy Girls lip sync to Wannabe.

Rachel Jensen

The Spicy Girls lip sync to Wannabe.

Rachel Jensen, Editor-In-Chief

This past Thursday, the Hingham High Student Council put on the annual Lip Sync.  All students were invited to participate.  Either as an individual or in a group, the students had to create a performance in which they lip synced to a song.

All performances were judged by an esteemed panel of judges.  The first judge, Hingham High Vice Principal Mr. Swanson, was assisted by his son.  The panel also included senior Emma Ranocha and school counselor Mrs. Krall.  All three judges were trusted to give fair rulings.

To start off the night, the evening’s Emcees, Teresa Bandera and Max Giarusso, introduced the first group.  Organized by Mr. George, the group was dressed in various Hingham sports uniforms and lip synced to a song from High School Musical.  The performance also featured a surprise guest, Dr. Girouard McCann!  The high energy performance received a score of 25 out of 30 from the judges.

Next to the stage was Brad’s Baddies.  Dressed in matching red shirts and Santa hats, the group lip synced to All I Want For Christmas is You by Mariah Carey and similarly received a score of 25 out of 30 from the judges.

Following Brad’s Baddies, the Spicy Girls took the stage.  The group was composed of several members of the varsity field hockey team and they performed to Wannabe by the Spice Girls.  Unfortunately, the judges gave them a score of only 20.

The next two groups, We Dem Boys and Bad Boys, delivered strong performances, receiving scores of 27 and 26 respectively.

Next up was the only individual performance of the entire competition.  Senior Natalie Gebhardt placed an American flag on stage and held a hand to her heart as God Bless America played in the background.  Due to the nature of the performance, the judges were conflicted when awarding their scores.  Senior John Joyce thought that “the performance was so unexpected!”

The final performance of the evening was given by the group, West Ham, and featured a powerful combination of Tight Pants and Unwritten that excited the audience.  The group received a perfect score of 30 and won the competition.

Overall, the Lip Sync was a very enjoyable student event.  Both performers and spectators, who filled almost half of the auditorium, seemed to love the experience.  Senior Emma-Leigh Lamonde, who was originally against coming to the event, was happy that she changed her mind as “it was a fun event for [her] last year of high school”.