HHS’s Annual Winter Orchestra Concert

Shira Berkin

Ms. Sassano conducts the HHS B block orchestra.

Shira Berkin, Junior Editor

Last Thursday, December 22nd, the Hingham High School orchestra held its annual Winter Concert in the High School’s auditorium, with teacher Ms. Sassano conducting. To begin the night, the Freshmen Orchestra played two songs beautifully, impressing both parents and grades ten, eleven, and twelve, all sitting in the audience.

Directly following the Freshmen Orchestra was the Chamber Orchestra, featuring Sarah Calame as the regal concertmaster and her stand partner John Joyce, in addition to Francesca Corrado and Emma Ryan leading the cello section, Hannah Kerber and Dylan Davis leading the violas, Gillian Mehigan and Davin Thureson leading the basses, and Claire Haney and Shira Berkin leading the second violins.

The dynamic group played five movements from the Holberg Suite: Praeludium, Sarabande, Gavotte, Air, and Rigaudon (featuring solos by Sarah Calame and Hannah Kerber). Every piece flowed with the last for a fluid and captivating twenty minutes.

John Joyce, a hard-working senior violinist and lover of chamber, recalled, “It was so great to see all of our hard work come together. Playing in my fourth and final winter concert with some of my best friends is something I’ll never forget.”

Directly following the chamber orchestra was grades ten, eleven, and twelve for their B Block orchestra performance. The group began with an exciting Drifen, followed by a movement of Dvorak’s Symphony No. 8, and later Queen of the Night’s Aria (with solos by Sarah Calame and Shira Berkin).

Last but certainly not least, the orchestra welcomed back alumni Terrence Casey, John Gillig, Jackson Humphrey, Mark McNiskin, and Ben Bochman to play the famous Sleigh Ride, with the exact arrangement used by the Boston Pops. This also included several band friends, such as Michael and Kaylee Hill, Bailey Nghiem, Kelley Osterberg, Noah Goodman, Sophia Calianos, and oc course Mr. Cincotta.

Senior Casey Cavanaugh, a member of the second violin section, exclaimed, “the orchestra concert was so much fun! I know how hard everyone prepared, and I’m really proud of how we all played. Sleigh Ride was my personal favorite, and it really got everyone into the

Christmas spirit! Orchestra is such a special group and as I senior I’m definitely going to miss having it in my life next year.”

With seniors like Casey and John taking part in the program, orchestra concerts are special and fun for everyone!