Rock On: the 2019 All-Town Orchestra Concert

The+Hingham+High+School+Orchestra%2C+conducted+by+Phaedre+Sassano%2C+in+their+rendition+of+%E2%80%9CCrazy+Train.%E2%80%9D+

Sarah Bryden

The Hingham High School Orchestra, conducted by Phaedre Sassano, in their rendition of “Crazy Train.”

Sarah Bryden

Last Tuesday, Hingham orchestra students from across the district performed in the annual All-Town concert, a celebration of the power of music and Hingham’s arts program. In the light-hearted spirit of the evening, each group played a selection of contemporary rock music, including hits from artists such as Coldplay, Queen, and Ozzy Osbourne.

“It was really fun and vibrant,” said freshman cellist Kalyna Wilkin of the event. Her friend, violinist Aly Chang, added that “we played really well.”

The night began with the Sixth Grade Orchestra’s rendition of “Rock Bottom Boogie” by Robert Longfield, a jazzy piece that, as director Barbara Gorczya explained before the concert, featured swinging eighth notes, a new musical challenge for the group.

Following the sixth graders was the Hingham Middle School Orchestra, led by Phaedre Sassano. Carrying on the rock’n’roll theme, the ensemble played Green Day’s hit “21 Guns” and Coldplay’s “Clocks” with contagious enthusiasm.

Immediately thereafter, the High School Chamber Players, an audition-based ensemble comprised of students in grades nine through twelve, took stage and offered a sweet yet haunting rendition of the Beatles’ classic “Eleanor Rigby.”

The group, led by concertmaster Claire Haney, was followed by what was arguably the climax of the evening: a combined performance of Coldplay’s “Viva la Vida” by the Sixth Grade Orchestra and Hingham High School Orchestra, including all freshmen. The collaboration offered a powerful chance for high schoolers to fill a leadership role and for younger players to gain inspiration; sixth grade violinist Ryan Chang explained that he thought “the high schoolers were really good.”

The night drew to a close as the Hingham High School Orchestra, which in this concert included freshmen, took the stage. Featuring band director Brian Cincotta on percussion, the ensemble played Paul McCartney’s “Live and Let Die” and Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train,” both energetic songs with infectious, rousing riffs.

“I though the drums were great,” said Aly Chang. “And we should definitely have Mr. Cincotta play with us more often.”

Before the concert ended, several upperclassmen addressed the middle school players in the audience, urging them to continue making music and emphasizing the familial bonds within the orchestra. Then, the Hingham High School Orchestra played Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” with Antonio Griffin accompanying on the piano. As an iconic, deeply moving piece, it served as the perfect ending to a concert dedicated to celebrating Hingham’s young musicians.