Spirit Week is Back and Better Than Ever

Ava Malloy

One of the many spirit week posters hanging around the building.

Ava Malloy, Contributing Writer

The week of October 4th to October 8th is spirit week for Hingham High School.

Monday will be Class Color Day. The colors for each grade are always the same. Freshmen are white. Sophomores are black. Juniors are blue. Seniors are red.
Each grade has a different decade for Tuesday (freshman – 60s, sophomores – 70s, juniors 80s, seniors 90s). Get your Hawaiian shirts and sunglasses ready because Wednesday is beach day. Wear your matching pajama sets and slippers for pajama day on Thursday. All students will be decked out in red on Friday for the red out and the pep rally.

Last year’s spirit week was not the same with hybrid learning. Considering all we wore during remote school was pajamas, spirit week was not as exciting. This year students at Hingham High are very excited for the upcoming week. Niamh Mcguiness, secretary of Student Council, mentions, “The Student Council Spirit Committee and I have put a lot of planning and work into this upcoming spirit week and pep rally. We hope that it will bring back lots of HHS school spirit after last year. I am excited to see everyone’s outfits and hope to see everyone showing their school spirit!!” Just like most students, Niamh is very excited about spirit week.

Pajama day is a popular day at Hingham High school as junior Jill Mcnamara exclaims, “My favorite day is always pajama day, it makes the day feel like a sleepover”. When you can wear comfy clothes at school–what’s not to love! She continued, “Especially after not having homecoming last year, spirit week will be a great way to boost school spirit and get people excited in the week leading up to homecoming”.

Freshman Caroline Sullivan agrees with Jill on pajama day as she added, “I’m so excited for my first spirit week! I’m mostly excited for pajama day and beach day”. Beach day is always a big hit as students dress up in Hawaiian shirts and leis. In addition to Hawaiian day, the theme of this year’s homecoming dance is tropical.

Coin wars will be back for spirit week. At lunch Monday through Thursday, there will be a bucket for each grade in which students can fill with spare change. At the end of the week, the class with the most money raised wins. The winner will be announced at the pep rally on Friday.

The pep rally will be on Friday right after school. There will be fun games including a freshman sibling and a senior sibling’s three-legged race. Another fun event is the freshmen/sophomore v junior/senior soccer game. During the pep rally, every fall sports team will walk out to a song of their choice. Captain of the girls’ cross country team, Willa Davis adds, “I’m psyched to walk out to Calabria 2008 because it’s iconic”.

Everyone at Hingham High School is excited about spirit week and homecoming. Next week there should be a lot of spirit throughout the halls of HHS. This week is a fun and exciting way to show off your school spirit as well as enjoy some normalcy of school again.