Attention Graduating Seniors: Travel the Nation with the American Exchange Project

American Exchange Project

With the vision to provide American students with an enriching experience, the American Exchange Project grants high school seniors the opportunity to travel their country for one week, for free.

Elle Cavanaugh, Contributing Writer

Mr. Swanson recently sent out an exciting email to this year’s senior class, sharing information on the “Graduation Gift for HHS Seniors.” Explaining in the email, “This year, Hingham High School has partnered with the American Exchange Project to offer, for the first time, a very special graduation gift to you and your classmates: A FREE trip to a town of your choice in the United States.”

Despite sounding like “a spam email” or “too good to be true” as Mr. Swanson put it at last Thursday’s informational meeting, the principal and two of the program’s leaders reassured students that this is a very real (and free!) opportunity for all graduating seniors.

For those of you who find themselves intrigued but missed the meeting, this article is for you. Below is a list of answered questions about the trip.

What is the American Exchange Project?

Who is the trip available to?

The trip is open to all HHS graduating seniors!

When is the trip?

The trip will take place for 7-10 days between June 15 and August 15. Along with this, a group of high school seniors will visit Hingham for a week during this period.

Where do I get to go?

Students can choose from any of the following towns/cities participating in the project:

-Little Rock, Arkansas

-Palo Alto, California

-San Diego, California

-Denver, Colorado

-Stamford, Connecticut

-Nampa, Idaho

-Goshen, Indiana

-Indianapolis, Indiana

-Davenport, Iowa

-Dodge City, Kansas

-Lake Charles, Louisiana

-New Orleans, Louisiana

-Dover-Foxcroft, Maine

-Baltimore, Maryland

-Boston, Massachusetts

-Gloucester, Massachusetts

-Hingham, Massachusetts

-Lynn, Massachusetts

-Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts

-North Adams, Massachusetts

-Seekonk, Massachusetts

-Wellesley, Massachusetts

-Kansas City, Missouri

-Jackson, Mississippi

-Beaverhead County, Montana

-Ennis, Montana

-New York, New York

-Muskogee, Oklahoma

-Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

-Scranton, Pennsylvania

-Flandreau, South Dakota

-Lemmon, South Dakota

-Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota

-Sioux Falls, South Dakota

-Sisseton, South Dakota

-Nashville, Tennessee

-Cotulla, Texas

-Dallas, Texas

-Kilgore, Texas

-Longview, Texas

-San Angelo, Texas

-Washington, TC

-West Virginia, Charleston

When registering, students can choose from their top four choices of these options to travel to. At the meeting, the trip leaders emphasized the importance of experimenting with new areas that may be out of your comfort zone. 

When do I find out where I will be going?

March 1, 2022, is AEP’s “reveal day.” Not only will students find out when, where, and with whom they are traveling, but students will also learn when their exchange students will be visiting Hingham.

Is there anything I have to do ahead of time, such as homework?

All participating students will need to attend the AEP “hangouts” that are held between April 1 and June 1. Hangouts last about an hour and happen biweekly. Hangouts work to introduce students to their traveling cohorts and their host families.

What are my hosting responsibilities for the exchange students who visit Hingham?

AEP “asks that host students attend at least 50% of activities happening in their town, and if that’s not possible, students can organize an AEP activity in their town.” Students can still participate even if their family cannot host another student!

Is the trip free?

Yes! Travel, meals, and activities are all covered by the program and its sponsors.