17 Massachusetts High Schools to Compete on Season 14 of GBH’s High School Quiz Show

Highest-scoring teams from High School Quiz Show’s Super Sunday qualifying event advance to the televised and streamed academic competition, premiering February 4 on GBH 2 and YouTube.

Lauren Herbert, GBH news

High School Quiz Show®, GBH’s academic tournament for Massachusetts high school students, will premiere its 14th season on Saturday, February 4. Radio and television personality Billy Costa will return to host the Emmy award-winning competition that celebrates academic achievement. Seventeen teams from high schools across Massachusetts will go head-to-head in weekly matches to advance in the bracket, each aiming to earn the title of High School Quiz Show State Champion. The teams of four will work together to demonstrate their understanding in categories including math, history, science, literature, civics and current events.

The season-premiere Wild Card match between Concord-Carlisle High School and Melrose High School will air Saturday, February 4 at 6pm on GBH 2 and the High School Quiz Show YouTube channel.

This year, Season 13 State Champion, North Quincy High School will return to defend their title.  A host of previous champions are also competing to reclaim the title, including Acton-Boxborough Regional High School (season 5), Lexington High School (seasons 7 and 8), Andover High School (season 9), and Boston Latin School (seasons 10 and 11).

Four schools will be making their first appearance on High School Quiz Show including Concord-Carlisle High School, Melrose High School, the Commonwealth School and Saint Joseph Prep Boston.

“GBH is proud to provide a platform for Massachusetts high school students to display their knowledge, and for communities to rally in support of their home teams to celebrate their accomplishments,” said High School Quiz Show Executive Producer Hillary Wells. “I look forward to seeing how this year’s bracket plays out and hope that our fans across the Commonwealth and across the country will play along and cheer for our quick-witted Season 14 stars.”

The 17 teams competing in Season 14 of High School Quiz Show are:

• Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
  • Andover High School
  • Boston Latin School
  • Brookline High School
  • Buckingham Browne & Nichols School (Cambridge)
  • Commonwealth School (Boston)
  • Concord-Carlisle High School
  • Hingham High School
  • Lexington High School
  • Mansfield High School
  • Melrose High School
  • Needham High School
  • North Quincy High School
  • Phillips Academy (Andover)
  • Saint Joseph Prep Boston
  • Shrewsbury High School
  • South High Community School (Worcester)

The winner of the Wild Card match will advance to the qualifying round against Mansfield High School on February 18.

High School Quiz Show is endorsed by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education and the Massachusetts PTA. Major funding for High School Quiz Show is provided by Safety Insurance. Additional funding is provided by the Museum of Science, Massachusetts Teachers Association, Xfinity, UMass Amherst, Eastern Bank and Subaru of New England.

For more information, visit highschoolquizshow.org and follow the show on YouTube, FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

The season premiere Wild Card match between Concord-Carlisle High School and Melrose High School will air at 6pm on GBH 2 and the High School Quiz Show YouTube channel. New episodes premiere weekly on Saturdays.