Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Shining a light on Hingham news

The Harborlight

Nex Benedict’s photo projects onto a wall during a vigil in Oklahoma City on February 24, 2024.
Nex Benedict: Student, Victim, Martyr
Sophia Scott, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024
Hingham resident Hillary Flynn uses her eclipse glasses to witness the event on April 8th in Boston.
In the Shadow of the Solar Eclipse
CC Flynn, Staff Writer • April 21, 2024

Steering Through the Storm: Harbormen Win Big on Homecoming

Sophomore Quarterback Jake Varholak avoids a sack during Saturday’s game. Credit: Hingham Anchor

Saturday’s Homecoming and Senior Night football game was a major success, as Hingham posted a statement win over Silver Lake. The Harbormen dominated the Lakers with a 42-14 win, clinching a postseason playoff spot. While the rain continued to fall all game long, it did not stop Hingham from succeeding. It was a traditional celebration for Senior Night, and the monsoon could not dampen the high spirits.

Silver Lake got on the board first with an early touchdown, while the Harbormen attack was a little slowed by the elements at the start. However, with a big defensive sack from senior captain Matt Kelley the Lakers were pinned deep in their endzone and forced to punt. A big punt block from senior Pat Ryan led to a great field position for the Harbormen and an easy first score. The rain continued to produce slippery footballs, and late in the first quarter, Silver Lake failed to catch a snap, which led to senior Captain Gunner Corey scooping and scoring to put the Harbormen ahead.

Hingham went into the locker room at the half with a 14-14 tie. The deadlock did not persist for long as senior captain Will St. Pierre took the opening second-half kickoff to the endzone to kickstart a great half for the Harbormen. Strong defense persisted as the Harbormen got the ball and capped off their drive with a quarterback sneak by Jake Varholak. When asked about the game, Jake said, “Beating Silver Lake was a great team win for us. I loved the way we responded to adversity in the second half after a slow start in the first”. Jake is also looking forward to the confidence boost the Harbormen now have and hopes it will carry through when they face Duxbury at home on Friday night.

A dangerous throw to the endzone for Silver Lake leads to a leaping interception by senior Jack Nicholas, and a great return to give the offense good field position. In the fourth quarter, Will St. Pierre took a 35-yard electric run to the house to continue the dominant performance. A second gamble throw from Silver Lake leads to another huge Jack Nicholas interception. St. Pierre again added a big touchdown run to build an insurmountable cushion to the Harbormen’s lead.

Finally, a late-game interception from senior Logan Price capped off an impressive Hingham win, with a dominating defensive performance. No doubt the game was an all-around success, and a memorable game for everyone, especially the seniors who all played great. Sophomore quarterback Wilson Ferguson commented on the game saying, “Not only did the players and coaches overcome the elements, but a lot of parents did too. It was great to see so many people come to watch the game despite the awful conditions. I think it shows a lot about the town”. The major win leads the Harbormen into a Friday night lights game against the Duxbury Dragons, which will be another great opportunity for the town to show up big.

Hingham Football seniors and closest supporters on Senior Night
Credit: Josh Ross